Dictionary in MS Excel

Copper Contributor

Is there any way we can spell check in Microsoft excel?

4 Replies

@jyoti_kumar_rout 

You can also prevent spelling mistakes when using Excel. To do this, you use the spell checker. It works like this:

Open the workbook that you want to review.

Activate the desired worksheet.

Press the F7 function key to check the spelling.

Excel now checks the current worksheet for spelling errors. If an error is found, Excel displays the occurrence in a window:

Use the buttons in this dialog window to control whether and how you want to correct the error. When the spell check has been completed, Excel shows this in a corresponding window:

If you want to run the spell check not just for a single sheet but for the entire workbook, right-click on a sheet in the sheet tab before starting the check. Select the "Select all sheets" function. This will group the worksheets.

Only then should you run the spell check. Remember to ungroup the spreadsheets after testing. To do this, click the sheet register again with the right mouse button and select the "Ungroup" function.

Hope I was able to help you.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here

Is the dictionary/ dictionaries used available on an excel book form?

@H_a__k_f__9__s_O 

The spell-checking feature in Microsoft Excel uses the language settings of your operating system. If you want to check or change the language settings in Excel, you can do so through the following steps:

1. Open Excel and the workbook you want to check.
  2. Select the "Review" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Spelling" in the "Proofing" group.

Excel will then check the spelling based on the language settings of your operating system. If you want to change the language settings, you can do so through the following steps:

1. Go to the "File" tab.
  2. Select "Options" at the bottom of the navigation pane.
  3. In the Excel Options dialog box, select "Language" on the left.
  4. Choose the language you want to use for editing and display.

Keep in mind that these settings affect the spell-checking language, among other things, in the entire Excel application, not just a specific workbook.

If you are asking about using custom dictionaries or specific dictionaries within an Excel workbook, Excel doesn't natively support workbook-specific dictionaries. The spell-checking relies on the language settings configured in Excel options.

If you have specific terminology or words that are not recognized by the standard dictionary, you might need to add those words to the dictionary in your operating system.

Please note that the steps might slightly vary based on the version of Microsoft Excel you are using.

Hi, I am aware of this, I look for the word list for the language (selected) used in Excel,
the word list installed in Excel, viewable (on an Excel Workbook).
In fact, all of those languages.