SOLVED

Delimiter for Separate Line Breaks in Cell not Working

Copper Contributor

I am trying to split a cell with three line breaks into 4 columns. When using the text to columns wizard and selecting delimited, all the text in the cell shows up in the preview. When I hit next, only the first line shows up. Nothing after the first line break appears. 

9 Replies

@Mcquim 

In Step 2 of the wizard, tick the Other check box, then click in the box next to it and press Ctrl+J. This is the code for a line break.

S0847.png

@Hans Vogelaar 

I have done this however, the wizard is not recognizing any of my text after the first line break. So when I try to do ctrl+j, nothing happens. 

Mcquim_0-1635422027886.png

@Mcquim 

Strange...

Instead of Ctrl+J, you can also try clicking in the box next to Other and pressing Alt+010 using the numeric keypad.

This is happening to me as well. It’ll work randomly.
Please let me know if you figure this out. :folded_hands:
I have not figured out how to get this to work using the text to columns wizard but I did find a macro that works:
Sub Delimit()
'splits Text active cell using ALT+10 char as separator
Dim splitVals As Variant
Dim totalVals As Long
Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To 1000
splitVals = Split(ActiveCell.Value, Chr(10))
totalVals = UBound(splitVals)
Range(Cells(ActiveCell.Row, ActiveCell.Column + 1), Cells(ActiveCell.Row, ActiveCell.Column + 1 + totalVals)).Value = splitVals
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate
Next i

End Sub

@Mcquim 

Here is a shorter macro. Select the cells with multiple lines (in a column) before running the macro.

Sub SplitLines()
    Selection.TextToColumns DataType:=xlDelimited, Other:=True, OtherChar:=vbLf
End Sub
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Hans Vogelaar So I found a way to get it to work. All I did was edit the information that appears in the formula bar- like delete a word and then retype it-and somehow the text to column options works just fine.

@mrt1012 

Hi all. I have the exact same problem where the text to columns on multi line cells only works if I edit something in the cell, even if I just double click on the cell to enter edit mode is enough.  The problem is that I have thousands of records so I can't double click on all.  I tried find/replace to edit something but to no avail. Any idea pls?  Thanks a lot.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Hans Vogelaar So I found a way to get it to work. All I did was edit the information that appears in the formula bar- like delete a word and then retype it-and somehow the text to column options works just fine.

View solution in original post