Decision Trees In Excel

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am interested to learn about any sophisticated decision trees done in Excel.  I do management and decision sciences professionally and have produced decision trees for many applications but have typically used 3rd party software purpose built for these applications.  I'm wondering what Excel only decision trees have been built that have eloquent navigational features i.e. collapse and expand easily and cleanly.  I am just not too familiar with using the Excel shapes or smart art for dynamic and collapsible trees.  I've tried both smart art horizontal hierarchy (fine for simple trees that are not too big or scalable) and also built trees using shapes for for nodes and branches but haven't had great luck at producing clean, dynamic, scalable trees (my lack of skill/knowledge with shapes for sophisticated/eloquent trees).  Thanks for any insights.  

2 Replies

@ExecStrategies 

I have used Excel to evaluate decision trees, but I did not focus on the graphical representation rather I focused on the probabilities and how to reach the best decision. 

I think it can be done, but I do not think it is worth investing too much time in making it dynamic and/or automatic.

@Ramiz_Assaf  thanks for your response.