Data Validation Drop Down List not Saving

Occasional Visitor

I create a Data Validation Drop Down list in Excel, and it works while I have the workbook open, but if I save and close the Excel 97-2003 Worksheet file, then re-open the file, it does not work. When I click the down arrow nothing happens. It is like it does not save the connection to the table. Anyone know why this is happening?

3 Replies

@G_Kealey 

From your text I cannot infer which version of Excel you are dealing with, knowing the operating system would also be a plus for a proposed solution.

Nevertheless, here ... some information about it.

- First define a name for the area

- and then use this name as the scope

- and then use this name in source / refers to

drop-down menu not visible

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/0ca479fb-ebda-4fea-a2cf-1e9e8cd8c811/excel-20...

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Hope I was able to help you.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here

@G_Kealey 

Most probably compatibility issues. As I remember in 97-2003 data for data validation list can't be in another sheet, perhaps something else. It works as it is now at least from 2010.

This is a ridiculous waste of time. 2019 tried 2010 the drop-down list will not save. All the mentions are just additional waste of time. This function should be a very simple drop-down menu, this is not rocket science. This situation displays the lack of understanding of everyday users. We are all not advanced programmers, just people trying to conduct a very simple drop-down menu. This function does not work, it would be a great benefit. Stop wasting everyone's time and say IT DOES NOT WORK.  @G_Kealey