create a database and map for cemetery in excel office 365

Copper Contributor

I would like to create a database and map for a cemetery I manage using excel. I have office 365 online and I was thinking that there might be a template that I could use. I am that familiar at all with how to use excel and maybe it's over my head. I have used a mapping program online and it is quite easy but it's costly and so I was hoping to do the same thing using my office subscription that i'm already paying for. Thanks 

14 Replies

@Brian98   I am looking for the same thing in either Excel or Access.  have you had any luck?  

@JYoung410 not yet but I just posted the question again earlier today and got a few responses so far I will let you know if anything pans out

I also would be interested in any replies you receive. Thank you.

@JYoung410 I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH A PLAIN INVENTORY TEMPLATE THAT I FOUND IT'S IS WORKING OK ...JUST HAVE TO LEARN AS YOU GO WITH THINGS LIKE DROP DOWN BOXES AND FORMATTING PICTURES INTO CELLS, ADDING COMMENT ECT.....BUT I THINK I FOUND AN ALTERNATIVE TO THOSE HIGH PRICED COMPLICATED MAPPING PROGRAMS THAT ARE AVIALABLE...IT'S CALLED THE CRYPT KEEPER CEMETERY DATA BASE SOFTWARE....HAS EVERTHING I AM GOING TO NEED TO MAP OUT MY CEMETERIES AND CREATE A SEARCHABLE DATABASE AND IT'S CUSTOMIZABLE...THIS GUY GETS IT....NOTHING FANCY BUT IT WORKS GREAT...IT HAS A FREE TRIAL AND ONLY COST AROUND $ 55 PER YEAR...I TOLD HIM I WOULD LET OTHERS I KNOW KNOW ABOUT IT....I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON IT EVERY NIGHT FOR AN HOUR OR SO AND I REALLY THINK IT'S THE ANSWER....AS WORD OF MOUTH IS BEST ADVERTISING LET HIM KNOW WHERE YOU HEARD ABOUT IT IF IT WORKS FOR YOU...BRIAN'S LAWNCARE SCPBGL87@GMAIL.COM IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AND GOOD LUCK!

I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH A PLAIN INVENTORY TEMPLATE THAT I FOUND IT'S IS WORKING OK ...JUST HAVE TO LEARN AS YOU GO WITH THINGS LIKE DROP DOWN BOXES AND FORMATTING PICTURES INTO CELLS, ADDING COMMENT ECT.....BUT I THINK I FOUND AN ALTERNATIVE TO THOSE HIGH PRICED COMPLICATED MAPPING PROGRAMS THAT ARE AVIALABLE...IT'S CALLED THE CRYPT KEEPER CEMETERY DATA BASE SOFTWARE....HAS EVERTHING I AM GOING TO NEED TO MAP OUT MY CEMETERIES AND CREATE A SEARCHABLE DATABASE AND IT'S CUSTOMIZABLE...THIS GUY GETS IT....NOTHING FANCY BUT IT WORKS GREAT...IT HAS A FREE TRIAL AND ONLY COST AROUND $ 55 PER YEAR...I TOLD HIM I WOULD LET OTHERS I KNOW KNOW ABOUT IT....I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON IT EVERY NIGHT FOR AN HOUR OR SO AND I REALLY THINK IT'S THE ANSWER....AS WORD OF MOUTH IS BEST ADVERTISING LET HIM KNOW WHERE YOU HEARD ABOUT IT IF IT WORKS FOR YOU...BRIAN'S LAWNCARE SCPBGL87@GMAIL.COM IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AND GOOD LUCK!
why you dont use map charts in excel? its pretty smart specially if you are in usa
YES! I have heard of Crypt Keeper! It does look like a great program! Thanks!

@Brian98  - is the cryptkeeper guy available when there are issues, questions or problems?  I don't want to spend money on software or a program that keeps changing or that I can't manipulate myself.   what are your thoughts? 

@JYoung410 I create maps with Excel and we use it as a spreadsheet.  The entire things is, what your definition of database.  I scale my cells to a small size and they represent a value such as 6" and merge them to create my graves.  Then I can hyperlink a spreadsheet column to that grave.  as far a crypt keeper.  We use it, but we have desktop version.  We have yet to pull the trigger on the web version.  As far as his product, it is pretty good for the price.  I would really say it is better than that.  But you will only get email support.  If you would like to see how I draw cemeteries, my email is dmfd305 at icloud.com

I just signed up for an online trial with Crypt Keeper, thus far I am thoroughly impressed with the value. I was going to develop a spreadsheet to use with a GIS Map. The use is for a small rural township cemetery. This software appears it may fit the bill far better than what it would take for me to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Thank you Brian98 for sharing this information, I am really glad I checked it out.

@Burnside99 wow that is great!  I will have to give it a try!

Thank you for the information.  I am managing a small cemetery of 180.   I need a way to create a realistic map for people to use to locate their loved ones, and to take reservations for those that want to be interred there.   I need to draw a graphical design denoting existing graves, "reservations", curbs, trees, etc.    We have no budget.   Everything is done by volunteers.   Plus I want to share my knowledge for other people managing small cemeteries.   Thanks for any help.    - Brenda  

@BHagler78626 

Brenda,

I am also managaing a small cemetery and was wondering if you found anything useful to create the cemetery and people interred in the cemetery.

Thanks 

Sandra