Conditional Formatting specific text character limit to function

Copper Contributor
Hi everyone,

Just a query with hope that someone can assist.

I am trying to do a basic bit of conditional formatting to create something to help me with my revision.

As part of my work studies, I need to learn the definitions of loads of certain words word for word. I had started created a spreadsheet to give me assistance with this revision, but it’s not proving successful.

In column A Is all the words, in column B is all the full written definitions for each word, and then column C is blank, but i have tried putting in conditional highlighting for specific text, so that I can type my attempts at the definition within column C, and the format is set to be red when the text doesn’t match column B, but go green when it does match.

My issue is that conditional formatting by specific text only works up until so many characters, so for large text it is no use. Not sure exactly how many characters it works up until, but guessing it’s around 20 or so without having counted specifically.

It all works absolutely fine and does what I want, until the point too much text has been typed. Is there a way this text limit can be overwritten so that conditional highlighting will still work regardless of how much text there is?

Or otherwise is there another route I can take to create the same effect? Thanks in advance!

Just a little something that would be good to help me that’s just an annoying little thing preventing it from working!
1 Reply

@MattyOlliver 

This worked for me.

BXLConditionalFormatting.png

I'm using Office 365. I tested it on this text (including the carriage returns) which is far more than 20 words. 

"In column A Is all the words, in column B is all the full written definitions for each word, and then column C is blank, but i have tried putting in conditional highlighting for specific text, so that I can type my attempts at the definition within column C, and the format is set to be red when the text doesn’t match column B, but go green when it does match.

My issue is that conditional formatting by specific text only works up until so many characters, so for large text it is no use. Not sure exactly how many characters it works up until, but guessing it’s around 20 or so without having counted specifically.

It all works absolutely fine and does what I want, until the point too much text has been typed. Is there a way this text limit can be overwritten so that conditional highlighting will still work regardless of how much text there is?"