SOLVED

Complex IF formula using cell colour and cell value

Copper Contributor

I have a 365 Excel Workbook with several worksheets in.

One of the worksheets contains a row of cells 'Other Duties'!B8:AF8 of which may contain numeric value, if a cell contains a numeric value then that cell will have a colour fill with an Index value of 43 or RGB value of 146,208,80 I mention both Index & RGB as i don't know which is possible to incorporate in a formula.

On another worksheet i now need to create a formula that will look at those cells 'Other Duties'!B8:AF8 and if it finds a specific cell in that range with that specific colour it will add all the values of those cells it comes across in that range.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution
a sheet formula can NOT use the color. It can be done in VBA (search this forum and you can find examples) but I would recommend you re-think this exercise and how or why certain cells are those colors. For example if those cells are that color using conditional formatting then use the same logic/formula used in the conditional formatting in the sheet formula. If those cells are colored by user then consider having the user enter values in another table or additional columns or rows of that table to convey that information.
Thank you for your expertise and answering my question, i will need to find another way to present my requirement within the worksheet
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution
a sheet formula can NOT use the color. It can be done in VBA (search this forum and you can find examples) but I would recommend you re-think this exercise and how or why certain cells are those colors. For example if those cells are that color using conditional formatting then use the same logic/formula used in the conditional formatting in the sheet formula. If those cells are colored by user then consider having the user enter values in another table or additional columns or rows of that table to convey that information.

View solution in original post