Check Register Not automatically adding or subtracting itemized transactions

Copper Contributor

I downloaded a Check Register app from Microsoft templates.  However after the first months transactions were entered, I went in to add February and it is not automatically providing a balance on each line.  I am having to manually enter it.  This has never happened before when I had these templates.  Thanks for any help you can give in this issue.  Maybe an older template will work better I just have to locate one.  It was template tf10000141 win32 downloaded on 12/5/2022.  I understand this is basic to a lot pf people, but I had to self teach myself Excel many years ago because my employer refused to pay for a class for me to take it.  So please be kind.

4 Replies

@BLITZENRENO 

It's actually kind of a stupid (excuse me please, whoever created this) formula in that template's column I, where the balance is calculated. Much more complicated than it needs to be, in that all it is saying, is

• IF you're in row 3 (i.e., the top row) then the balance is whatever is in cell $H$3 (where the creator placed an "opening balance",
  • else, subtract the debit from the row above, or add the credit.

The formula has nothing at all to do with the date column. 

Now, I don't know exactly what you did to "add February" -- IF you started a new page (which is NOT what you should do) -- that could explain it. What you should be doing is just continuing the register, entering check numbers and dates, descriptions, and a debit amount in the debit column, a credit amount in the credit column. It will continue to work.

OR, if you want to make it simpler, enter your starting balance in cell I3 (i.e., write over the formula that's in the cell with a number) and then use this formula in cell I4, copied to all succeeding rows.

=I3-G4+H4

See the attached file, where I've done that for you.

@BLITZENRENO 

A quick postscript: Templates are often poorly designed (so I've observed) for use by beginners. This one for example, in that that formula, which really only was needed in its complexity for the first row, made things more complicated than it needed to be. I've seen worse, however, where the designer made use of hidden tables and the like, so it took detective work to figure out how to expand it. It looked sexy, but was of limited real use.

You might be better served by getting yourself a basic book (Excel for Dummies, despite the semi-insulting title, is actually pretty good; I've not use it, but have used some of the other books in the ".......for Dummies" series for software programs), and following the lessons there. A check register is in fact one of the easiest things to "do it yourself."

@mathetes 

I do not in the least appreciate you calling me stupid.  I didn't do anything but continue to add transactions to the existing register so it should have continued to work appropriately.  This page or forum absolutely sucks! 

I did not at all refer to you that way: only to the formula created by the designer of the template itself, the creator of the spreadsheet that was giving you difficulty.