Change the cell's font color in a cell based on other cell's values not using conditional formatting

Copper Contributor

Hello. Can somebody help me code in each cell how to change the font color based upon another cell's value? I know how to do it in excel VBA using vbBlack and vbWhite or RGB(0,0,0) and RGB(255,255,255) but would like to do it within the cell's code itself. I don't know the syntax within a cell . A sample is within cell A5:

IF(AND(A10 <> "", A10>=0, A10, IF(A20 > 0, A20, 0)), IF(OR(AND(A10 <> "", A10>=0), A20 > 0), Cell.Font.Color =vbBlack, Cell.Font.Color =vbWhite)

I don't know the syntax within a cell. Another way within cell A5:

IF(AND(A10 <> "", A10>=0, A10, IF(A20 > 0, A20, 0)), IF(OR(AND(A10 <> "", A10>=0), A20 > 0), Cell.Font.Color =RGB(0,0,0), Cell.Font.Color =RGB(255,255,255))

I've used conditional formatting but can't show the 0 because I've changed the cell to white based upon it being 0. I don't want to use conditional formatting if I can help it. I'd like to change cell A5 based upon the values of cell A10 or A20 as described above. Thank you for all those willing to help. Tommy :)

4 Replies

@Tommee

There are three ways you can make the font color of a cell change automatically:

1. For numbers only, you can specify up to two different colors for ranges of values of the cell itself. For example, the custom number format [Green][<1000]0;[Red][>5000]0;0 will display numbers <1000 in green, numbers >5000 in red, and numbers in between in the standard color. A number format cannot be based on the value of another cell.
  2. Using conditional formatting.
  3. Using a VBA event procedure in the worksheet module (or in the workbook module).

A formula in a cell cannot directly change the cell's font color based on the value of another cell. (If somebody can prove me wrong, I'd be delighted...)

I created a VBA macro just in case another solution isn't available.