Hi community, I need your help

I want to record a Macro and I am having this message back:

Can you please help me?

Thanks

MercedesQ_1-1674826883147.png

1 Reply

@MercedesQ 

Now it's getting... very difficult

Since you have not given any information about Excel version, operating system, storage medium, etc., I assume that you have Excel 2016 and Win.10.

Under Excel 2016 there is also a file "Excel15.xlb". The self-created toolbars/menus and a few other pieces of information that are not tied to a specific workbook are saved in this file.

This file is under

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel....

Depending on the Windows version, the folder structure for the user is slightly different.

It may be that Excel still loads the user-specific XLB file from this old directory, but does not automatically (which is actually the case) overwrite it with the new settings when it is closed.

The repair is tricky, if it succeeds. If you're unlucky, the toolbars you created yourself may be gone.

1. Close Excel
  2. Search your local hard drive in Explorer for files with the extension xlb (search criterion = *.xlb

You will probably find at least one Excel15.xlb (for Excel 2016) in the directory

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

possibly also a second one in the user management folder created by the respective Windows version.

1. Make a copy of the file in a temporary directory and delete the file in the above directory.
  2. Start Excel

The toolbars you previously created are probably not displayed now.

If you do, then I think you're very lucky, the macros might even work. In this case, further actions are not necessary.

1. Create a new toolbar and close Excel. Excel now automatically creates a new Excel15.xlb where it will find it again the next time it is started.
  2. Scan your local disk again for xlb files.

The xlb just created by Excel should now also appear in the list.

1. Copy the newly created file to another directory and delete the file.
  2. Copy the copy of your Excel15.xlb created in step 3 into the directory where you deleted the file in step 7.
  3. Start Excel.

With luck you will now have your toolbars back, but you may have to recreate the link to the macros again.

If Excel mucks here, then you have no choice but to close Excel and delete Excel15.xlb as in step 7. After restarting Excel, you can then completely rebuild the toolbars - of course, it's best to test them first with a symbol before you get totally frustrated.

All information/instructions are without guarantee and without any responsibility for the execution of the above steps.

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

NikolinoDE

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful!

This will help all forum participants.