SOLVED

Automatically recognise thousand separators

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I would like Excel to automatically insert a thousand separator whenever I type in let's say 1000 or 1000000. Thus, Excel should automatically display this as 1,000 and 1,000,000.  

I know how to do it manually, but I want to prevent myself from doing this ever again, so that requires a change in the setting of the programme. Basically, whenever I open a new workbook, it should automatically apply the rule above.

Could anyone share his/her insights on this topic? That would be extremely helpful.

Thanks & best,

Thorsten 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by TP101 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Use an empty, one-sheet workbook.
Fold out the Styles gallery (Home tab). Right-click the "Normal" style and choose Modify.
Change the number format to the one you want Excel to always use.
Now choose File, Save-as, select "Excel template" (either with or without macro's)
name your file book.xltx (or xltm) and save it in this folder:
%appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
Do the same again, this time name your file Sheet.xltx (this is the new sheet template).

Thank you, problem solved! In the meantime I found this website that provides more detailed information on how to change the default style of excel workbooks.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TP101 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Use an empty, one-sheet workbook.
Fold out the Styles gallery (Home tab). Right-click the "Normal" style and choose Modify.
Change the number format to the one you want Excel to always use.
Now choose File, Save-as, select "Excel template" (either with or without macro's)
name your file book.xltx (or xltm) and save it in this folder:
%appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
Do the same again, this time name your file Sheet.xltx (this is the new sheet template).

View solution in original post