Assign task in EXcel comment

Iron Contributor

Hello

I hope someone can help to explain how the "Assign a task" works in excel comment. I notice when someone assigned me a task by creating a comment on Excel, and click assign a task. I would get an email notification about the task, but this task is not shown anywhere in my task on outlook, teams or to do. 

Anyone can help to explain.

thanks

Ryan 

19 Replies
Ryan

I have same question - looking to follow

Question is in excel you can add a "Comment" to a cell and using the @XXXXX function flag it for someone getting a notification via e-mail and with the web version you can "Assign To" - Where can these be found as a summary

These tasks do not show up anywhere on the task app or planner or even outlook

Comment / Assigning can be done on all MS 365 apps ) word, PP, Excel, etc etc

But seems to have no link to anything taggable outside the said document

Todd
I have the same issue - maybe we should upvote it
Same problem as you - may we should upvote it
I have the same problem as well. I read an article that Microsoft will fully integrate TO DO with Excel, Word and Powerpoint in Q1 2021, but I can't find a solution.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-to-do-will-integrate-with-word-excel-and-powerpoint-next-year
Time is dragging on this. Has anyone spotted anything more specific other than "in the future"

Cheers

Shane

@Shane O' Malley Perhaps the blog post in the link below is what you are looking for. Came out about two weeks ago. Insiders only, though.

https://insider.office.com/en-us/blog/assign-tasks-with-mentions-in-excel 

Hi Riny and thanks for that. It is not quite what i was looking for but good that they are moving forward and making it available in full excel and not just the web version.
What i was wondering about is where that "Task" appears in the various "To Do" solutions microsoft have. There were previous mentions (As far back as 2020) that it would appear in our new smart to do lists which i would thought would be the To-Do app but it does not seem to be implemented. Perhaps they were waiting for the full excel functionality to be implimented before they moved on to that. That might mean we will see it soon (Hopefully)

@Shane O' Malley 

Same here - we are using the feature and great about excel. BUT it only sends an email, no addition to a co-ordinated task list - fingers crossed

@Jin Chen Has anyone seen any updates related to this yet? We discovered we can use this task assignment functionality recently and while it is nice it seems the tasks would quickly become lost if they don't show up in Tasks/Planner or a dashboard view for users to track their assigned tasks. The document we were collaborating on when we tested it was in a Teams/Sharepoint library so I assumed there was a 'Plan' in the background associated with the Team/SharePoint site that I would be able to find and make visible to the team but that did not appear to be the case.

Just came across this feed looking for answers to the same question.

Any update on the Task functionality?

@Simeon_Davies Still not seen it working for me. I do get an email about the task but does not appear on my Todo list under any of the categories.

Would love, love, love to see this integrated to ToDo - I don't want emails!

Looking for the same answer. Glad I'm not alone?

Now a year has been passed. Waiting for fix.
Still waiting for this enhancement
Has anyone seen any updates related to this yet?

@Rache2195 I am now seeing that functionality.

I I get an email notifing that the task has been assigned to me and i get a notification in the bell on the top right of Microsoft To-Do but i still dont see it on my list of items to do. 

Will do some further testing with people with different levels of Office365 subscription

Only way I can see to get this into todo, is to flag the email generated by excel. 2024 and the Excel Comment assignments are not making it to ToDo automatically.

@Jin Chen 

It's not a perfect solution, but you can flag the email notification as a to-do and it will then show up on your task list. It's not automated, but I'm sure you could set up a rule that would accomplish the same thing.