Asking for data to practice

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, It's my first time here. I don't know if i can post this question here.

I just started learning excel and I'm on the intermediate level now but i don't really know where to apply the formulas i have learned And it's difficult to byheart all the functions if you don't practice all the time. So, I'm curious is there any data online i can practice or how did you practice when you first starting your career in excel? or do you have any tips for beginners?

Thank you!!

3 Replies
Definitely feel you. I only really commit things to memory when I do them by hand. I first learned through figuring out school assignments, then at work being given problems, not knowing anything, but then googling around and trying to figure out how to make it work.

I would honestly look here and the excel subreddit. People post issues they're having with excel, lots of time with example spreadsheets included. Even if someone has answered it before, just take their spreadsheet/problem, and come up with a solution on your own. A big part of excel is recognizing when to use something and knowing your toolset, and exposing yourself to a ton of different problems will be super beneficial. That's mainly why I'm on here, always learning new stuff!

Even if you think something isn't really relevant to where you are now skill/workwise, everything seems to come full circle.

Good luck!

@chn_rm 

I think the best way to go at this is to think of some personal application that you care about where Excel could help you out. I would advise against just getting a store of data some place unless it's something you also care deeply about.

1. One possibly generic application for most people would be keeping track of your income and expenses. Maybe just a checkbook, but you could begin with that and then move on, adding credit card expenses. Set up budget categories. Learn to use the Pivot Table to summarize the data in meaningful ways.
  2. If you like to keep track of exercise, record the minutes and calories burned......
  3. Excel can be good for tracking movies watched or books read...to be watched and to read...

In short: What are you interested in aside from Excel? How could Excel assist you in exploring, experiencing that interest even more deeply?