Adding Image to Excel Headers doesn't work!

Copper Contributor

MSO365 Excel ver 2108 (build 14326.20855)  Corporate O365 License

Open Excel > Page Layout > Down arrow in lower right corner of Page Setup > Header/Footer Tab.

Click "Custom Header..."

click in any of the section.  Then click the "Insert Picture" button.

The following box opens up and NONE of the options are selectable or do anything when you click on them.  Only the Bing search box is selectable and doesn't search anything.

Tim_Harden_0-1681929224933.png

The only way I've found around this is to type something in the Bing search box and hit the magnifier icon to search.  when it errors with the following error box, then you hit "Work Offline" button and it will give you explorer view of your local drive.

Tim_Harden_1-1681929329124.png

I've tested this on a half dozen different PC's in our environment and all have the same issue.  All system are listed as having all updates.

This work around is not working well for my users.  Advanced users get it and roll with the issue but my more established and nontechnical users have an issue with it.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?  I've been hunting the internet for a week now and not found anyone else talking about this issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

TH

4 Replies

@Tim_Harden 

You'll have to use the workaround until Microsoft fixes this bug.

@Tim_Harden It seems that Microsoft has made the issue even worse, because when I try to add or replace an image that is in the header, I no longer get the box shown in the first screenshot, I get the following box with error:

2023-07-21.png

@SuperStevo86   I just tested it again and it is working now on mine without issue. 

When I click the "From a File" it actually opened the file exploder and when I clicked on OneDrive, it opened that as well.  None of my users have said anything about it working so if they fixed it in the updates, I was not aware of it.  I'll have to reach out to my power users and see if they are still having the issue.

If you are having the issue, try checking for updates and a reboot.  I keep our company about 30 days behind the MS patch cycle to give time for fixing any undocumented features that might be present in their patches. So we are not on the most recent patch currently.  If I and my users are working, I might think if you patch, it should help you also.

go to file /account /manage settings

uncheck the Turn On optional experiences.

Then no more issues it will give the warning to work offline

@Tim_Harden