Add text to a column based on text or color of another column

Copper Contributor

Hi there!

I am trying to make a column in a document that autofills based on content contained in another column. Column A is a document's folder path so it has a lot of information that isn't useful as I just need the main folder information. 

For example if Column A cell 2 said "company name/policies/pto" I would want column B to say "policies." There are 4 potential column B values I need based on whether column contains a certain higher level folder. If it helps I have conditional formatted Column A based on the 4 values to each be different colors.

I tried Flash Fill, but it got very confused and didn't work. =IF formulas also didn't work for me because each folder path is unique and I need it to uses contains not =.

Is it even possible to format Column B the way I

1 Reply

@Calliea 

You wrote:

There are 4 potential column B values I need based on whether column contains a certain higher level folder. If it helps I have conditional formatted Column A based on the 4 values to each be different colors.

It potentially helps quite a bit: I wonder, for example, why you can't use whatever the "rules" are in your conditional formatting dialog box in connection with some solution -- an IFS function perhaps, or a table with VLOOKUP (or INDEX and MATCH--that follows the same logic to fill in your column B.