A problem: convert Arabic pdf file to Excel make strange letters

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I've to convert a pdf file into Excel file for essential task in my work but unfortunately the arabic letters changed into strange letters and symbols as shown.

Please help me to fix that.

Alhamdulillah, the problem 's been solved.

For anyone that may face such issue This is the way I used :

- convert the pdf file into an Arabic word file through an online convertor that "supports Arabic Language" (not Adobe) 

- copy the table contents -in word file- to a new blank excel sheet

3 Replies

@Hend_Hassan 

Converting Arabic text from a PDF file to Excel can sometimes lead to issues with character encoding, resulting in strange letters and symbols. To address this problem, you can try the following steps:

1. Use a Reliable PDF to Excel Converter: Ensure you are using a reliable PDF to Excel converter software or online tool. Some tools are better at handling character encoding issues than others. Adobe Acrobat Pro, for example, has a good reputation for preserving text formatting during conversion.
  2. Check PDF Settings: If you are using a PDF authoring tool (such as Adobe Acrobat) to create the PDF, check the settings used to create the PDF. Ensure that it is using standard Arabic character encoding (e.g., UTF-8 or Windows-1256) when generating the PDF.
  3. Use OCR for Scanned PDFs: If the PDF contains scanned images of text rather than selectable text, you will need to use Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software before converting it to Excel. OCR software can recognize and convert scanned Arabic text to editable text.
  4. Manually Correct Errors: After the conversion, if you still encounter strange characters, you may need to manually correct them in Excel. This could involve finding and replacing incorrect characters with the correct Arabic characters.
  5. Use a Specialized Arabic OCR Tool: For PDFs with complex Arabic fonts or scripts, consider using specialized Arabic OCR software. These tools are designed to accurately recognize and convert Arabic text.
  6. Change Excel Encoding: In Excel, you can try changing the character encoding settings. Go to "File" > "Options" > "Advanced," and under the "General" section, change the "Web Options" encoding to Unicode (UTF-8).
  7. Verify Arabic Font Support: Make sure that your system has Arabic fonts installed and that Excel is set to use Arabic as the default language. You can change the language settings in Excel by going to "File" > "Options" > "Language."
  8. Check PDF Content: Sometimes, the issue may originate from the content of the PDF itself. Ensure that the Arabic text in the PDF is correctly formatted and encoded before conversion.
  9. Consider Professional Services: If you have a critical document with complex Arabic text that requires precise conversion, consider seeking the help of professional translation or document conversion services that specialize in Arabic content.

Remember that the effectiveness of these steps can vary depending on the complexity of the Arabic text, the quality of the PDF, and the specific software or tools you are using. Always keep backups of your original documents in case the conversion process introduces errors.

The text and steps were created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Thanks, for your reply.
Next time you might also try using the conversion tools offered by MS Word. Right-click the file, choose open with - Word. On open Word will offer to convert it. If you can get a clean file in Word, then it can be moved to Excel through copy/paste.