SOLVED

2 Seniority Lists: SOLVED

Copper Contributor

Hi Community!

I am dealing with a problem. My company gave me 2 seniority lists: 1 old one with name/rank/base en the new 1 with only the ranks/base. 

I am looking for a solution to merge the names into the new list.

I have been looking all over how to do this, but can't find the solution. Anyone here able to guide me?

Kind regards!

EDIT: picture uploaded

9 Replies

@Aminam20 

That's a bit abstract. If few people have the same ranks/base, bit more formal logic is to be added. If not, perhaps Power Query is the straightforward solution.

@Aminam20 

Sergei is right that your question is quite abstract--not enough in the way of specific details to give a truly helpful response. Is it possible for you to upload a sample of the two spreadsheets you have, after first rendering all names anonymous?

thank you for your reply. I have added a picture. There is about 10 bases for 1000 people, and by rank I meant seniority, so from 1-1000. Does this help?
Please see my answer to Sergei above, plus the picture I uploaded. I hope it helps, if not, tell me ;)
best response confirmed by Aminam20 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Aminam20 

You may XLOOKUP, VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH names based on ID:s if they are the same in both lists. From your sample it's not clear what is common between these two lists.

As a comment, it's better to submit sample file instead of the picture. Low chances someone will retype from your screenshot to the Excel sheet to play with formulas.

Let us know if you need help with those functions that Sergei mentioned. That would be the way to do it, and easy if you know how.

@Aminam20 

Both the efficiency of the look up and that of any manual checks can be made more efficient by sorting one or both lists by primary key.

I appreciate the help and the tip @Sergei Baklan
I am very new to this community and highly appreciate the comment ;)
As said to @mathetes I need some pointers.

Also thanks everyone for the quick replies and help!
Thanks everyone for helping out! The issue has been solved and the weekends work has been completed :D

Off topic: Why is this website so slow?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Aminam20 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Aminam20 

You may XLOOKUP, VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH names based on ID:s if they are the same in both lists. From your sample it's not clear what is common between these two lists.

As a comment, it's better to submit sample file instead of the picture. Low chances someone will retype from your screenshot to the Excel sheet to play with formulas.

View solution in original post