Bug: Edge v104.0.1293.54 always unable to start after own update on v103.0.1264.77 (Stable)

Brass Contributor

Hello all,

3 days ago my client still running Edge Enterprise v103.0.1264.77 (Stable) received via MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe (v1.3.165.21 updated manually by me to avoid unexpected effects, if also interested to know why please see this my past reference) current v104.0.1293.54 and this happened 6 days after it had received previous v104.0.1293.47 (so 9 days ago).

Unfortunately after I was unable to complete a proper manual Edge restart after receiving v104.0.1293.47, I was also unable to complete same expected Edge manually assisted restart after receiving v104.0.1293.54 and so, as it always also happened in past similar occurrences, I saw v104.0.1293.54 setup being completed only when I 1st ran Edge again on 8/15.

Big problem is that since then v104.0.1293.54 has never properly completed own startup that was also expected to recover last opened 2 opened sessions I had before (more opened tabs in each one).

So far I've tried to restart it 4 times in total and each time Edge hung with own single window still opened and only creates a single .dmp inside C:\Users\<myAlias>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\reports but with no real evidence that it also succeeded in reporting that .dmp via network (until now I've determined that this very likely happened properly, when, also probably due to own size, last created dump file has a .edmp extension).

Now after quite a lot of investigations and my need to temporarily switch back to Firefox Portable (now at current v103.0.2) I've already found that my best option is to rollback (=downgrade) to previous v103.0.1264.77, since last one that ran properly and I've already configured Edge proper policies to possibly ensure that next self run of MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore will revert to it (I also already got its MicrosoftEdgeEnterpriseX64.msi for it but for now & other reasons I'm unsure I'll be able to use it properly).

But ITMT may someone (unsure about @mkruger or @Kelly_Y) be so kind to please be able to tell me if I might have any other way to manually report those same dump files to Edge Dev so they can ensure to definitely fix issue and also avoid it again in future ?

P.S. So far I'm avoiding to attach same dumps here since also I'm assuming it might not be best thing to do.

Thanks for attention.

Best Regards

Rob

9 Replies

@SwimmeRM Hello - Yes, you are correct it is best not to post the dumps here because the files might have personal information.  In this case, you can either submit feedback through the browser 

("..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback) or you can reach out to Support 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/support/.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y  maybe you missed main point that so far my Edge is not starting at all because it's still v104.0.1293.54. In few minutes 2nd MicrosoftEdgeUpdate self scheduled instance (the one called MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore) should run so I should see if 2nd self rollback method described by Andy Zeigler in his Ignite September 2020 video and based on executing v103.0.1264.77 setup via standard MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe updates while proper policy settings are also enabled might work correctly in my situation even if my test client is not in a domain.

Otherwise I'll have to fix it by manually running MicrosoftEdgeEnterpriseX64.msi v103.0.1264.77 using 'msiexec /I FileName.msi /qn ALLOWDOWNGRADE=1' syntax and so far I'm not yet sure it might work immediately since lately my client experienced difficulties to install 64bit .msi programs only with Windows Installer (always failing) while 32bit .msi programs indeed always installed fine.
P.S. About your reference to that Dev support area could you be more specific ?

I mean were you considering 'Microsoft Q&A' side or just the 'Insider Program' side where it also says 'Get help, including email support, for the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels.' ?

Thanks in advance.

@Kelly_Y  Hello again,

1st of all apologies for so much delay occurred before this additional reply of mine (due to some unexpected OS freezes).

Even if I still haven't received any further reply to my latest post P.S. questions (About your reference to that Dev support area could you be more specific ? I mean were you considering 'Microsoft Q&A' side or just the 'Insider Program' side where it also says 'Get help, including email support, for the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels.' ?) at least now I'm again able to provide you (and possibly others interested too) that I would still like to receive, I can now update you again about my previously anticipated tests and my current status.

- About using 2nd self rollback method described by Andy Zeigler in his Ignite September 2020 video based on executing v103.0.1264.77 setup via standard MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe updates while all properly required Edge policy settings were also enabled: only after I manually enabled all 3 required  Edge v103.0.1264.77 policy settings I also discovered that same method could not have worked because my client was not inside a Domain (evidence of this was inside C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Log\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.log where I also found this explanation ... [ConfigManager::LoadGroupPolicies][Machine is not Enterprise Managed]...). Due to this I also assumed that I would have likely needed to try to 'simulate' somehow being inside a Domain by only using OS group policies, but then I also figured out I could have not really been sure that doing so was indeed possible :-(( ;

- About manually running MicrosoftEdgeEnterpriseX64.msi v103.0.1264.77 using 'msiexec /I FileName.msi /qn ALLOWDOWNGRADE=1' syntax: I foud not enough spare time to try to ensure to definitely fix my client difficulties to install 64bit .msi programs only with Windows Installer (always failing) while 32bit .msi programs indeed always installed fine;

- About my current browser status: when on Tue 16th August I created this post I was forced to use latest Firefox Portable (v103.0.2.8255) but after some other unexpected OS freeze experienced while it was still running, on Sat 20th afternoon I found I could no more use it properly because of a weird error still unsolved ('Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible') even when starting it while also specifying its '-safe-mode' switch. Anyway same day in the evening I also discovered by chance that at least while in InPrivate mode, an Edge v104.0.1293.54 window could be opened properly (this happened after an IE11 InPrivate session, run with Admin privileges, displaying an embedded Youtube video on a local web site was redirected to another separate Youtube hosted site video that opened an Edge window using a very specific command line syntax I'm only partially logging here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --from-ie-to-edge=1 --inprivate ...). Then on Mon 22nd evening my client also received latest (& current) Edge v104.0.1293.63 and finally only today I could find enough spare time to repro same situation again always starting from an IE11 InPrivate session run with Admin privileges. So, after I displayed another embedded Youtube video, at the end I choose to see another one and again this opened a separate new Edge v104.0.1293.63 InPrivate mode window, once again using a very specific command line syntax that this time I can nearly fully log here (I'm just excluding involved Youtube video because it was not in English: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --from-ie-to-edge=1 --inprivate --customer-type=1 --enable-features --disable-features --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --do-not-de-elevate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<removed_since_NotInEnglish>&feature=emb_rel_end), and while that window was opened I also verified I could properly run Edge via its Quick launch application bar icon I manually created after dragging 1st Edge v92.0.902.73 self created icon from Start (menu) -> All programs (just for the records this is what it always runs '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default') , and this also allowed Edge v104.0.1293.63 (Enterprise) to recover those same 2 standard Edge windows that were still opened while Edge v103.0.1264.77 (Stable) was still running before an unexpected OS freeze.

At this point here are my new questions to you (unless someone else might like to jump to reply and maybe add even more details) :

- Is what I experienced, I mean Edge v104.0.1293.54 or v104.0.1293.63 only starting properly while in InPrivate mode because of a very specific command line syntax execution, something that had to be expected because Edge was not yet really switched to be OS default browser ?

- Is there already any known reference documentation (i.e. maybe on MS Docs, rather than inside 1 or more MS Support KB articles) that can also confirm all valid command line options available for Edge and/or Edge Enterprise ?

P.S. Just to confirm that now I've been able to report all older dumps created by Edge v104.0.1293.54 via Edge Feedback opened from same 1st Edge v104.0.1293.63 InPrivate mode window opened yesterday.

ITMT I also :

- checked that so far no known MS Support KB article exists to confirm MS Edge all known or most likely used command line switches (so far I searched starting from 'Microsoft Edge help & learning' page <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US>),

- tried to expand my investigation through bing to also look for "--from-ie-to-edge=1" switch usage but I still have to fully check results,

- can confirm you I received latest v104.0.1293.70 but I still have to manually restart Edge via its UI to complete its update.

Thanks in advance for any next reply.

Best Regards

@Kelly_Y (and others) Hello again,

once again I'm sorry for so much delay occurred before adding this reply (this time less dued to unexpected OS freezes) and if so far this topic has become a little too much TL;DR for you all (but I always try to summarize all as much as I can).

Fact is that after I tried to restart Edge after its v104.0.1293.70 update it continued to always hang at startup, and this also happened with v105.0.1343.27 that followed after 1 more week, thus also preventing me to access my mailbox on Outlook.com or add more here.

Fortunately enough, 1 more week later, and only after I received v105.0.1343.33 that I'm still using, I was able to verify that an Edge InPrivate session could start without hanging, but again that only happened after I had used an IE11 InPrivate session (started as Admin) to view a YouTube embedded video from a local web site page, and after its end I selected another video from video index shown.

That indeed finally started an Edge InPrivate window using following command line (but this time I'm leaving referenced YouTube video even if not in English, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --from-ie-to-edge=1 --inprivate --customer-type=1 --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --do-not-de-elevate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdhK3jtBQOY&feature=emb_rel_end) and at its startup I was also warned that an extension ('Clipboard Helper' if I'm recalling correctly) was self disabled (and also self removed even if I was not confirmed) because containing malware so I decided to additionally report about that via a checkbox that Edge proposed me.

After that I also verified I could again properly restart the 2 Edge standard window sessions I typically use and then also reported all that happened via 'Edge feedback'.

FYI ITMT I also received more Edge updates, v105.0.1343.42 (last week) and v105.0.1343.50 (right before I started writing this post) and I also strongly hope when I'll have enough spare time to let Edge finish all its Self-Update actions and self restart as usual it will have no more issues.

But anyway, unfortunately due to lack of a published known list of Edge valid command line switches available, I still won't be able to know if there's any specific switch I can use to be sure that Edge can always continue to start reliably as it did until v103.0.1264.77 (included).

And because of this I'll only have to continue to start it using same old default one I manually copied from one of earlier versions update I received (so again '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default').

P.S. Please could you @Kelly_Y or anyone else be so very kind to try to also answer all my previous questions from past reply I added before this one?

TIA

Best Regards

Rob

@SwimmeRM Hello!  Unfortunately, I do not think the command line options are documented.  Eric Lawrence, Principal PM has written an article about it here: Edge Command Line Arguments – text/plain (textslashplain.com)

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y  Hello and many thanks for confirming also which is current known status for Edge command line options.
Good to know that Eric Lawrence posted that article on his own blog, where I've already found some other interesting contents after Sep 21 when I investigated some more on resource.pak contents and usage, and while also trying to figure out if/which additional troubleshooting could be made for Application Log Event ID 256 (Source: Edge) error I also unexpectedly found recently and related to another OS reported corruption of an Edge extension that was installed months ago.

(Just adding some more details here too:

Source: Edge "[2508:13316:0921/171231.326:WARNING:chrome_content_verifier_delegate.cc(231)] Corruption detected in extension emejglhjgnlgoeefgcdpfihajdhlfjen installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\105.0.1343.33\resources\edge_share, from webstore: 0, corruption reason: 1, should be repaired: 1, extension location: kComponent"
Source: Edge "[23948:11212:0411/235326.953:WARNING:chrome_content_verifier_delegate.cc(233)] Corruption detected in extension emejglhjgnlgoeefgcdpfihajdhlfjen installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\99.0.1150.39\resources\edge_share, from webstore: 0, corruption reason: 1, should be repaired: 1, extension location: kComponent").

ITMT (yesterday), my client also received Edge v105.0.1343.53 but once again it hung (=stopped responding) on startup with no new dump created (inside C:\Users\<myAlias>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\reports) after I used same Edge default icon, I've put on OS Application bar since after 1st Edge installation ('"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default').

Anyway since with Edge not working I'm also without access to my mailbox on Outlook.com, I decided to do more attempts using same method (trying to access a YouTube hosted video after IE11 displayed another local web embedded page YouTube video) that already worked in the past with other versions (for more details about versions see above my previous posts).

After Edge hung again (=stopped responding) on startup during 1st attempt I did (right after my IE11 InPrivate window started as Admin opened a new tab confirming that proper browsing needed an updated browser too) I also noticed that MS Security Essentials was also still doing its weekly quick scan so I decided to do a 2nd attempt after end of scan and luckily enough this 2nd one succeeded and IE11 successfully started a new Edge InPrivate window (with this same command line that failed during 1st attempt '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --from-ie-to-edge=1 --inprivate --customer-type=1 --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --do-not-de-elevate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdhK3jtBQOY&feature=emb_rel_end') while showing 2 tabs (1st one showing involved YouTube video, 2nd one, also with focus, displaying 'Javascript Manager' extension default home page, while this time IE11 new self-opened tab was only showing an empty page).

Only after this, just like in the past, I was still able to use same Edge icon I have in OS Application bar to restore proper status of 3 Edge standard windows that were still opened before another unexpected freeze my OS experienced again on Tue 27th September morning.

Because of all these tests results and additional related contents found inside that Eric Lawrence blog post, I've determined that I'll need to do more tests experimenting Edge startup using so far known Edge command line options I've already documented in my earlier updates plus maybe some other other additional ones found thanks to that post from Eric Lawrence blog.

Best Regards

Rob

@Kelly_Y (and others) Hello again,

once more I'm sorry for so much more delay occurred before adding this reply (this time less related to some unexpected OS freezes) and I know so far this topic has become a little too much TL;DR for you all (but as always I try to summarize all as much as I can).

Quick recap: since I determined that quite too much time was effectively needed to do more specific tests experimenting Edge startup while using best possibly applicable command line options among so far known Edge ones found, again thanks to reported post from Eric Lawrence blog, so I decided to postpone those tests also because I had to be involved in other issues too.

ITMT my client already received v108.0.1462.76 (that I was still able to start on 01/08 using same methods I already described before) and then latest v109.0.1518.78 (among 02/10 and 02/11 but only after also receiving v109.0.1518.49 on 01/13), that on 01/08 I also learned to be latest and last ever to be released for Windows 7 SP1 x64 (still my OS that I should hopefully quite soon be able to finally upgrade to Windows 10  0:-| :-((( ) so after another last unexpected OS reboot, yesterday was finally able to try using Edge Enterprise v109.0.1518.78.

At 1st I tried several times (8~9) with older method I already found and described in the past (using an elevated IE11 InPrivate session to view a frame embedded YouTube video hosted in a local web site page and initially inside same IE11 tab, to then try to switch video display to YouTube directly, and then "magically" see an Edge InPrivate session start correctly just right before using standard Edge icon in OS Application bar to then see Edge start correctly and also be able to fully recover all already opened standard windows and sessions) but any Edge InPrivate window that opened always stopped responding and so basically I always had to force closing it (only 3 times Edge succeeded in self-detecting own stopped responding status and then asked me to confirm restarting own window and InPrivate session, but always there was no real way to try to proceed further without closing involved window, and then in Edge Crashpad folder I also found 3 very recent .dmp files not already self reported by Edge...).

After all that I simply started again to think to temporarily switch to latest Firefox, but then I also decided to also try to run Edge via same icon I put in OS Application bar right after Edge completed own 1st ever installation (it was v92.0.902.73 then, and app execution was specified using this very basic option "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default) and then I was so very happy to see Edge coming again back to "normal" life, self check it wasn't closed correctly and then also be able to let me use [ Restore ] button to reopen all windows and standard sessions I still had opened before an OS unexpected Blue Screen.

I was still a little doubtful about Edge v109.0.1518.78 really getting back to normal usage, until today too (and very early in the morning in local TZ while I was also writing this update...), my laptop decided to self reboot suddendly without any Blue Screen but once again after that my OS indeed recovered fine. After that I only ran Edge via Application bar and once again I'm very happy to say that it started fine and once again allowed me to use same "magic" [ Restore ] button to get all past Edge opened windows and sessions back to normal life.

So I guess and hope all this also seems to at least end this discussion thread...(and all previously unreported .dmp files were attached to a 'Send feedback'...)  0:-) ;-D 

Best Regards

Rob

@Kelly_Y(and others) Hello again,

I'm updating this thread once more because same issue I reported initially on Sep 24 2022 faced again yesterday after 2 days ago my OS received latest/current Edge Enterprise v109.0.1518.95, while v109.0.1518.78 was still running.

Once again issue is being experienced after another unexpected OS freezes occurred, but nevertheless I'm also quite sure this is not related to issue because I always make sure CHKDSK C: /X /V can run at every boot if needed, and then after proper boot, inside Application Log Wininit Event ID 1001 I always find the sentence 'File system check completed. No problem found'. Also since I know this topic has become a little too much TL;DR for you all (I'll just continue summarizing issue status as much as I can).

Quick workaround only recap : as I said still same found and described in the past to be able to run current Edge Enterprise v109.0.1518.95 (so only using an elevated IE11 InPrivate session to view a frame embedded YouTube video hosted in a local web site page and initially inside same IE11 tab, to then try to switch video display to YouTube directly, allow me to "magically" see a new Edge InPrivate session starting correctly, so that after I can use again standard Edge icon in OS Application bar to then see Edge start correctly and also be able to fully recover all previously already opened standard windows and sessions)

Of the several attempts I did to run only 1 created a new .dmp file that I already submitted via another 'Send feedback' I already sent yesterday.

ASAP I'll also try to see if manually forcing Edge to restart or close all its opened windows might make any difference in using known workaround or possibly revert Edge to normal usage.

ITMT I already made sure to empty Edge cache (something that so far I haven't been doing so very often :o :-s ).

Best Regards

Rob

@Kelly_Y(and others) Hello again,

just another update for this thread topic that I know looks still too much TL;DR for you all (& I'm just continuing to summarize issue status as much as I can).

After one more unexpected OS issue (on Fri 03/31 and this was a complete BlueScreen for a STOP 0x00000050  PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and I verified BugCheck 0x50 occurred during a write operation and apparently caused by NPFS.SYS, once again CHKDSK C: /X /V ran at next boot as expected, and once again inside Application Log Wininit Event ID 1001 I found usual sentence 'File system check completed. No problem found'), this time I'm quite happier to tell you that my past known workaround was no more needed and so I was able to correctly start current Edge Enterprise v109.0.1518.95 from basic icon in OS Application Bar and as always it could recover all its opened windows and sessions.

Since I did very little it seems that manually emptying Edge cache more often (something that now I've started doing some more frequently than before  :o  :-s ) might have probably brought some benefit, but only time will tell if this is really true.

ASAP I'll also check if manually forcing Edge to restart or close all its opened windows via quick shortcuts that I've been able to create (thanks @Noel_Burgess for confirming this in another thread question I asked in March) might make any difference too to still avoid using weird known workaround I reported above  in this same and again continue to use Edge normally.

Best Regards

Rob