SOLVED

Microsoft Edge Strange Crash in Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.7

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Edge Strange Crash in Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.7. can any one support here for this error ?

full crash report is here you can download  > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D3y7LmO_kK7hkuaMDdZ--xedQAKXYoqgqPI8L4XJS0U/edit?usp=sharing 

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 10.17.37 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 10.17.58 AM.png

35 Replies
Still seeing this issue and had to downgrade to v97

macOS Catalina
v10.15.7
How are you able to downgrade? This has been plaguing me as well.

@paorear 

I installed version 96.0.1054.43  from a backup and renamed the application to Microsoft Edge.old. Then I can let the updater keep the newest version updated so I can see that it's still broken.

I uninstalled the application and downloaded the old version through the Microsoft Edge for business website. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

I like Chuck's suggestion of keeping the new one around for auto upgrades
Oh - thank you so much for that!
Don't feel content with using an older version of the browser after reading all the security fixes in the subsequent patches. Maybe this is Microsoft telling us to spend our money on a new Mac, or, if you want to use your old mac, be aware that your are a security liability.
Also given from the first screenshot, it seems to merely be a problem about signing the code - of course it might be more complicated than that if you dig into it. But transparency and communication os something MS has improved and excelled at during the last decade, so this is quite of a blow.

Hope they get it fixed

@Alexandra-RI'm experiencing the same crash with Microsoft Edge running Catalina 10.15.7 on an Mac with an Intel Chip. Since loading Norton 365, Edge continuously shuts down after 20 seconds. I've tried reloading Edge and rebooting the program to no avail; it continues to shut down at the refresh rate.

This is interesting. I have Norton 365 installed too… can anybody confirm that the latest version of Edge works if Norton is not there?
@liliankasem Do you know what the latest version that DOES work is? I only chose 96.0.1054.43 because I had the backup handy. Thanks!
Some updates/responses to various items:
-- Crashes started with v98. I'm running Edge Beta 97.0.1072.21 successfully.
-- I do NOT use Norton 365, but am still experiencing crashes.
-- I've been running on the Canary channel without crashing since 102.0.1221.x. This has continued through the most current version as of today, Thu 2022-04-28, 102.0.1241.0.
-- I could not get the Dev channel release to stop crashing until I performed some major surgery: I deleted the entire contents of the folder <user>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Dev/
-- This, of course, wiped practically all my settings, favorites, etc., for that channel, so it's very drastic. But I've now had Dev 102.0.1235.1 running for about 24 hours without a crash.
-- I will take a similar approach with the Beta channel version I'm using as my go-to browser, but will try to isolate exactly what needs to be removed. Doing so will take some time to ensure I don't wipe out everything I rely on for my daily productivity. Once I have something more definitive, I'll update this conversation. Anyone else who'd like to attempt to narrow down what needs to be removed is more than welcome to help out. :)
Nice work. But of course you shouldn't have to do this… where is Microsoft support on this? I'm looking at you, @Alexandra-R! I think we last heard from her about this on February 8, when she had "gotten that to the team for a closer look at what's going wrong."
I have been experiencing the same issue on:
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
2.6 GHz 6-Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4.
Please fix this! I want to move away from chrome, but this is making it impossible.
Yes, you are right, I test every case, The lastest version we can use is "MicrosoftEdge-97.0.1072.76".

Download from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

@Pan_91What's your status on this topic?

I'm reading sinsf feb 8th, and keep trying latest edge versions but still no fix...

Back to 97 again...

How do we install 97? I can only see 98 as the oldest version on
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

@dabozuk Did you find out any 97 version?

I can't find any other then 99 version now?