Finally here! the Real Full Screen Experience in Edge insider Browser

MVP

Now if you go to full screen mode, by either pressing F11 on keyboard or this button

Annotation 2019-11-15 224715.png

you will see the tabs and address bar in a drop down fashion, just like in Edge classic.

to do that, first you have to be on the latest version of Edge insider Canary which is Version 80.0.335.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

then you have to go to: edge://flags/

and enable this flag

Annotation 2019-11-15 224019.png

Enable Fullscreen Dropdown

Drops down browser frame during browser fullscreen. – Windows

#edge-enable-shy-ui

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

That's it. it was requested multiple times on the forum and I was looking for this functionality as well.

Google chrome (even the latest canary version) still doesn't have this useful functionality.

33 Replies

It wasn't working even before that @HotCakeX 

Each time you'll watch a video in full screen and then exit out of it, you'll end up with the black space on top. This happens even if you are not using the browser in full screen mode. 

I've also sent similar feedback. Kind of makes me sad that I never see feedback that I've sent end up being on the popular feedback lists
I know, but the flag itself is not working in version 80.0.361.0.
when i hover my mouse to the top, nothing happens.
They rarely update their feedback list..and when they do they only add the ones that they themselves propose, like in their internal testings they find an issue and add it to the public feedback list.
there needs to be a way where users' feedback be tracked too
Hi,
can you please check now on Version 81.0.363.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
for me it's all fixed in youtube and other fullscreen videos :)
Hi HotCakeX,
I can confirm for Canary 81.0.363.0, no black bar anymore, so seems to be fixed. :thumbs_up:
Hopefully it will stay fixed:)
It got fixed in latest canary version

It should be available on Mac, but the toolbar does not even show up since the last updates instead (you have to enable the toolbar again in the view menu), disobeying the system expected behaviour of apps being fully operational in fullscreen

@Sckillfer 

Spoiler

@Sckillfer wrote:

It should be available on Mac, but the toolbar does not even show up since the last updates instead (you have to enable the toolbar again in the view menu), disobeying the system expected behaviour of apps being fully operational in fullscreen

Mac has its own form of fullscreen feature for all application, so it would be weird of Edge had this form of fullscreen mode on Mac, that's double fullscreen mode!

which Mac and Edge version are you using?

What? How a mouse hover to show toolbar option would be a double fullscreen? Safari has shown a simplified toolbar that only expanded on hover for years.

I'm using the latest beta on Catalina

@Sckillfer 

Spoiler

@Sckillfer wrote:
What? How a mouse hover to show toolbar option would be a double fullscreen? Safari has shown a simplified toolbar that only expanded on hover for years.

I'm using the latest beta on Catalina

on Mac, when you press the green maximize button, the program will become maximized, but not like Windows where Maximize button doesn't hide the taskbar, on Mac Maximize hides the launcher/dock/taskbar whatever. so it's already fullscreen.

when you move your mouse cursor to the top, you get the top bar or menu bar from Mac, which is set to auto hide.

now if Edge on Mac had this fullscreen feature that it has on Windows, it would make a mess. because moving mouse cursor to the top would both reveal the Edge UI and Mac's menu bar/top bar. they could even overlay each other.

this is why double fullscreen doesn't make sense on Mac.

I'm using 10.15.4 and Edge Canary Version 83.0.467.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)