Dev channel update to 86.0.615.3 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 86.0.615.3 to the Dev channel.  We also posted an article last week about an upcoming feature that will give you more control over copying and pasting:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/announcing-a-new-way-to-paste-urls-link-format/m-p/1....  As for today, here’s everything that’s noteworthy: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to use a pen to highlight PDFs. 
  • Added a setting for using a secure DNS. 
  • Added the ability to get suggestions for Collections from Pinterest and to export Collections to Pinterest. 
  • Added the ability to sort items in a Collection by name. 
  • Added a Paste option to a Collection’s … menu. 
  • Added support for creating a video reproduction of an issue when submitting feedback. 
  • Enabled support for the Default Serial Guard Setting management policy from Chromium. 
  • Enabled support for the Serial Ask For Urls management policy from Chromium. 
  • Enabled support for the Serial Blocked For Urls management policy from Chromium. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where popups such as the Translation or Sign In popup sometimes crash the browser when they’re closed or dismissed.
  • Fixed an issue where opening certain links from the New Tab Page in a new InPrivate window crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where an Edge hang sometimes causes the entire device to hang. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge Insider channels can’t be uninstalled. 
  • Fixed an issue where browsing data is not deleted when windows for a specific profile are closed (instead, it’s only deleted if all windows are closed) if the option to automatically delete it is enabled and there are windows for another profile that remain open. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where certain websites like Discord don’t load.   
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes open in regular tabs instead of their own tab-less windows. 
  • Fixed an issue where usernames are incorrectly identified as non-username fields or vice versa in autofill suggestion popups. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the video Touchbar sometimes appears on pages without videos. 
  • Fixed an issue where refreshing a page after it’s been translated prevents it from being translated again. 
  • Fixed an issue where there is sometimes no dialog confirming that caret browsing mode is being turned off. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking a link in a PDF that’s supposed to scroll it to a different location in the PDF doesn’t scroll it to the correct location. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Autofill popup sometimes doesn’t display completely. 
  • Fixed an issue where Guest windows are sometimes incorrectly detected as InPrivate windows. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes highlighted the wrong words when reading PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where exiting fullscreen sometimes causes the Tab band to become all black. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain context menu icons, such as for “Move tab to another window”, are missing. 

Known issues: 

• Mac users running the OS 11 preview (Big Sur) may have issues with all versions of Edge either crashing or not launching to begin with.  We’ve identified the issue and are working to get it resolved before Big Sur is officially released. 
  • Users with certain hardware are seeing changes in scrolling behavior that are unintended.  For example, pages scroll much faster than they used to.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, we couldn’t do this without you! 

30 Replies

So impressed that effort was focused to give us Pinterest suggestions in Collections, but I still cannot sync my open tabs or history.... Maybe there's a third party that would be willing to pay you to enable either of these remaining features. 🤷‍:male_sign:

Totally agree. This was enabled in the insider builds a little while ago (it wasn't fully functional; it only showed like 4 or 5 open tabs from each machine, I think), but it just disappeared. Collections and these other features are great, but this is a core feature of a browser that people have come to expect these days. I'm surprised it hasn't been given a higher level of development priority.

I still don't like the idea to integrate with 3rd party website as a built-in functions. I don't use pinterest at all. So this new feature does not excite me. I just hope this kind of integration will not slow down the browser or cause security concern in the future.

"Scrolling" seems better to me.

Love these two:

• Added the ability to sort items in a Collection by name. 
  • Added a Paste option to a Collection’s … menu. 

I love how Edge Dev has changed! I would like help with mine, a few days ago I updated Edge Dev and I received the vertical tabs feature, but I had a problems with my google account so I decided to reinstall it and as a consequence I lost this feature, could you tell me why I lost it? I loved the feature and I want it back, in fact I tried to install Canary but it hasn't it as well.

Don't see any settings to enable secure DNS.

Something broken with search in address bar. If you change search engine then you can't open 'about:flags', for example. It will open search page with words 'about' and 'flags'.

@josh_bodner 

If this was apart of the update, could you change it back so the padding has a different color? This kinda looks bad, atleast to me. Or is there an option in the flags to change it?

image.png

Hello @eddiezato

I believe you are trying to access the edge flags
This is the path edge://flags/

@eguif 

'about:flags' is alias to edge://flags/

Hello @eddiezato 

Wow, I had no idea of that
Living and learning

@MatureScarab582 since vertical tabs hasn't been enabled in code yet, the only way to get it is via our experimentation platform.  Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of that is that every time Edge updates, it reassesses the probability for whether or not to enable the feature, assuming that it's not turned on for 100% of people.  Once it's turned on in code, which means everybody will get it, I'll mention it in the release notes.  

@eddiezato do you have any extensions installed that would affect the way searches operate?  And can you reproduce this with any search engine, or just certain ones?  

@josh_bodner I tested it with new clean profile without any settings and extensions.

I found the cause of the problem. This is the setting:

'Show me suggestions from history, favorites and other data on this device using my typed characters'.

If you disable it, all requests in the address bar will be sent to the search engine. Even URLs with '/' at the end or without 'https'.

@josh_bodner How can I access to the experimentation platform?

@eddiezato same here. I do not see setting for using a secure DNS :unamused:

@josh_bodner Focus on general feature implementations that work across the web. I don't use Opera precisely because they have built in twitter, whatsapp and instagram. A software tool shouldn't have integration with a website because that compromises neutrality of the tool itself.    

@josh_bodner 

• Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app sometimes crashes the browser. 

Still happening here.

@josh_bodner 

The vertical tabs are great, however they are not very touch friendly.

If you are using a finger touch, it is difficult to hit a correct pixel, perhaps the active area could be made bigger.

Also it is not possible to expand the sidebar using touch. Only mouse or pen can expand it by clicking on the tab that is open.

Closing the tabs could be made easier by dragging them off somewhere. Currently it is hard as the right click with touch is very difficult to make on a tab because of the issue described above.

Cheers.

Please tell us, the users, whether you guys are bringing back the cool acrylic blur effect, reveal effect and smooth animations back to Microsoft Edge ever or not? @josh_bodner 

@dung_h2 the way everyone refers to this can be confusing :smile: but it's under "Flags," not "Settings."

• In the address bar, type edge://flags
  • type "DNS" in the search field to display only the flags with "DNS" in the name
  • find "Secure DNS lookups" and change it to "Enabled."
  • click the Restart button at the bottom of the window to restart Edge.

unfortunately, I'm not sure if that actually works... :facepalm:  Firefox is showing that it uses DNS over HTTPS when I test it with sites such as https://1.1.1.1/help or https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/encrypted-sni/.  Edge still doesn't...

I tried adding the EnableAutoDoh key to the Registry and rebooting, but that didn't help.