SOLVED

Dev channel update to 80.0.355.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.355.1 to the Dev channel!  Even more exciting, Collections are now enabled by default for all Canary and Dev channel users, as well as Collections sync!  This blog post has the details:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/09/improvements-collections-sync-microsoft-edge.  Please note that some users who have manually modified their sync settings in the past may not have Collections sync enabled and will need to turn it on themselves. 

Before we get to all the most noteworthy changes, it’s worth mentioning something that hasn’t changed:  favorites sync is still disabled for most people in order to prevent some crashes and favorites duplication.  However, if you’re currently syncing with Edge mobile, your favorites sync hasn’t been disabled, so if you’re experiencing Edge crashing shortly after startup, it’s likely that your favorites sync is still enabled. 

Added features:

• Added an option to Reading View to increase text spacing.
  • Added a prompt to verify work or school accounts that are automatically added to Edge but aren’t enabled for sync so that users are aware sync isn’t enabled.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where closing a window sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a crash on startup on ARM64 devices.
  • Fixed a crash that occurs when favorites sync is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where closing a tab too quickly after adding an item to a Collection sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where a crash in the Collections pane causes all future additions to Collections to fail until the browser is restarted.
  • Fixed a tab crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge on Mac fails to install updates automatically.
  • Fixed an issue where saving a PDF that has been written on with ink sometimes results in a corrupted file.
  • Fixed an issue Application Guard windows fail to open after a browser update.

Changed behavior:

• Updated the toolbar Feedback icon to be consistent with other Windows feedback icons.
  • Changed the color of the title bar of installed websites and PWAs to be the dominant color of the site’s favicon.
  • Fixed an issue where manually importing data from Chrome isn’t possible if there are too many Chrome browser profiles to fit in the dialog.
  • Fixed an issue where the UI and web content is sometimes seen doubled and shrunken on high DPI displays.  
  • Fixed an issue where importing favorites from a file sometimes causes any favorites on the Favorites Bar not to be imported directly onto the Favorites Bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the Find bar sometimes disappears when the browser loses focus.
  • Fixed an issue where the 1px border on top of the window is missing.
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to autofill a credit card has two checkboxes to save the card locally.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to the Sync Settings page always triggers a dialog to enable sync.
  • Fixed an issue with changing the order of items in a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where switching tabs quickly after adding an item to a Collection causes the item not to be added properly.

Known issues: 

• The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

As always, we appreciate all the feedback and suggestions we’ve collected from you! 

67 Replies
The Edge Team is doing great!! I really like the "Changed the color of the title bar of installed websites and PWAs to be the dominant color of the site’s favicon" added feature. So far I have not had much of any issues with the new Edge. Hopefully the Favorites sync issue will be resolved soon. Keep up the great work!

Would be great to have Collections in InPrivate windows too ;) @josh_bodner 

Hi,
collections are Not enabled by default for everyone.
it's Not available in all countries. i don't know why you guys put country restrictions on Edge insider features.
I am using Edge insider canary Version 80.0.359.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), set the collections flag to default value but Collections is Not enabled.
when i use VPN and connect to another country, i get the Collections feature.
best response confirmed by Clark MacDonald (Microsoft)
Solution
Sync issues are the main reasons why I'm not using Edge as my default browsers. I've lost some of my favorites before due to sync issues and it wasn't an acknowledged issue.

I@RichLusk I have read/seen this but where is it in DEV (Edge://flags), and what is it called?

@josh_bodner 

Hi Josh,

Having read everything (Welcome Back & yours), just 2 little things:

1st, an FYI for everyone;
BOTH Collections AND Grammar Tools (in Reading View) no longer need flags. That was only mentioned in regard to Collections, but, also, applies to Grammar Tools.

Regarding syncing Collections, I, still, cannot turn that On; toggle, still, faded & saying "Coming soon, we'll turn it on when it's ready".  Just update Canary, as well & it's the same.

They won't/don't sync (by default) without that On, if my understanding of what I read is correct.

Cheers,
Drew

I agree@RichLusk The new edge is progressing nicely and I've had relatively few issues so far!

@josh_bodner I'm glad to know the audio issue is under investigation. I submitted feedback weeks ago (while using with Bose Bluetooth headset)

@josh_bodner 

Overall loving the new Edge, but this constant "let's announce new features for everyone", which are then not actually available for everyone either by this ridiculous controlled feature rollout or country restrictions really takes the wind out of the sails of testing this and getting engagement.

We're here because we purposely signed up to test the features, not just hear about them and then endlessly wait.

You get one chance to make a first impression, as the old saying goes...

Really would love to see this change.

@jh30uk 

@jh30uk wrote:

I@RichLusk I have read/seen this but where is it in DEV (Edge://flags), and what is it called?

Hi,

you can see the examples in here

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Info-on-the-app-colored-title-bars/m-p/1054356

you don't need to enable any flags, just add a website as an app from the menu

fdsfds.png

it is quite annoying that Collections is not available... defeats the purpose of wanting us to TEST new features...

@JohnnyG76 

@JohnnyG76 wrote:

it is quite annoying that Collections is not available... defeats the purpose of wanting us to TEST new features...

Exactly, the controlled feature rollout system is doing more harm than good.

I'd really like the feature that Chrome currently has, where when you right click / open in new tab, it groups the tabs together automatically. Find it very efficient.

@HotCakeX , I had an idea that may be the case, apart from a few site that did this themselves (my trial of YouTube Music) I see no point in Apps or Collection so will not see this feature much thanks anyhow.

@josh_bodner Can we have a toggle that disables the title bar adopting the dominant colors in the favicon? I'd like them to follow the rest of the system/the regular browser window. And it doesn't help that some sites/PWAs have unfortunate dominant colors, making them look terrible, and consequently clash with the rest of the UI in the actual site.

Also, I'd still like to see new Edge adopt the visual indicators for InPrivate and AppGuard modes of old Edge, i.e. the colorful tag in the top left of the window, next to the tabs. The current way is way too subtle. At least when running Edge in light mode, InPrivate adopted the dark frame. However when Edge runs in dark mode, that differentiation goes away. And when using AppGuard, the current icon indicating the mode is even smaller and more subtle than the current InPrivate marker next to the address bar. The old blue and orange corner markers would be preferable.

Thanks.

--edit:

I mean, really...

edgemodes.jpgedgemodes2.jpg

Latter seems really clear and favorable, whereas former, it's easy to mess up, when you have multiple windows in different modes open.

Can you guys also work on making the loading spinner smoother like UWP Edge? This just sorta gets on my nerves a bit but I know this is something that's really minor
Still no option to refresh all open tabs?

@matb86 

@matb86 wrote:

I'd really like the feature that Chrome currently has, where when you right click / open in new tab, it groups the tabs together automatically. Find it very efficient.

Yeah but it's not completely ready, i would expect the browser to do it automatically. right now i need to create the group first and then other links opened from the same tabs will be joined to that group.

it should happen even if the user doesn't create a group manually.

it should also remember the group name, color and website address that the group belongs to so that after closing and reopening that site again, the group be automatically created.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Clark MacDonald (Microsoft)
Solution
Sync issues are the main reasons why I'm not using Edge as my default browsers. I've lost some of my favorites before due to sync issues and it wasn't an acknowledged issue.

View solution in original post