calendar web part on modern pages

Iron Contributor

Any chance we can get an ordinary calendar web part on our modern pages?

Events web part is not enough and the group calendar is only for, well, groups :)
We have the need for a modern page with a monthly calendar showing.

75 Replies
What about building your own calendar WebPart?

Event web part is what we get for the time being, at least in Modern experience. If the Classic web part is what suits your needs, you can make a Classic style page by making a Web Part Page in your Site Pages library and set that up according to your needs.

I doubt the Events web part is the last word from SharePoint on Modern-izing the Calendar app (Microsoft's been slowly updating SharePoint site apps to the Modern experience), so at some point in the future I expect we'll see something more suitable to your needs.

Thanks @Matt Coats,

I will try out you suggestion. Thanks again :)

hi Malene,

You can workaround this by adding an embed webpart to your modern page with this iframe code:
<iframe width="100%" height="1000px" src="https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxx/Lists/Calendar/calendar.aspx" scrolling="no" style="margin-left: -200px; margin-top: -190px;">
</iframe>

Hi Yuliya,

Thanks for your suggestion. I created the web part page and put on the ordinary calendar web part. It works ok and it is in production now.

I will try our your suggestion next time I need a calendar :)

Thanks again.

Is it possible to do the same, but get the weekly view instead?

Yes, you do that by changing the Default Scope in the calendar view settings from Month to Week.

2018-04-26 10_18_43-Microsoft Edge.png

I've tried out the embed code, but get a huge amount of space underneath the embedded calendar. Is there some line I can add to the embed code so that there is no space at the bottom of the web part?
HugeSpace.jpg

Just chiming in that I'm wondering how to get rid of all that space as well.  I played around with the iframe margin settings but I haven't been able to shore up any space at the bottom.

Add me in as another person trying to figure out how to get rid of all that space. 

Yes! Would be really good to have an actual calendar web part for modern sites. Events are great for well, events - but if you've got some kind of scheduler calendar, vacation calendar or in\out calendar - the events web part is not best suited for that.

@YuliyaHarada, there seems to be some space at the bottom that still scrolls. I tried adding the scrolling="no" but that doesn't work. would there be something that crops the bottom of the frame and to prevent it from scrolling. i also tried adding margin-bottom and was not able to get that to function properly as well. 

thanks. 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able yet to figure out how to get rid of that extra white space at the bottom...

Hi All -

I completely agree that a calendar web part is a real gap for SharePoint today.  

There are a couple of UserVoice suggestions related to this that could use your votes.  

On a related note, I have requested they expand the new Pages Metadata functions, to work within Calendars.  Please review that suggestion as well.

Cheers

I have tried the embed solution and it works okay-ish for displaying a calendar view. However, when you click to add an event the pop-up window does not line up properly (because of the margin settings) and that makes it impossible to add or amend bookings. The solution is clumsy and makes the page look amateurish--such a shame when I am trying to make pages look more slick not less so.

I agree with everyone a calendar view for the modern UI is really needed. It is this sort of thing that makes it hard to move away from using the classic SharePoint UI. I would love to switch all my pages over but there is still so much basic functionality missing. 

Microsoft Development Team please add this to your list of web-parts for the modern pages. Thank you.

Really? How does this answer helps the OP?

Does anybody figured out how to get away from the blank space? 

Thanks

Honestly I've given up until MS modernized the web part and am upfront with admins and tell them either place the calendar at the very bottom of the page or as someone else suggested create a nice link directly to the calendar.

Hi Guys,

I've created a Power App to address some of the gaps with event calendars today.  The Power app takes data from 3 calendars on 3 sites, that aren't part of the same hub site, and mashes it up into an easy-to-consume snapshot view of the next 7 days.

I'm using it to share multiple categories of date info in a segregated quick snapshot view:

1. Official Company Events
  2. Notices and Alerts (maintenance windows, facility issues, etc)
  3. Employee Announcements (promotions, new hire start dates, assignment transitions, etc)

If you're interested, check-out my article that goes into great detail.  I've also posted the Power App as a template you can download and tweak to use on your site.

!! IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALL LINKS: Since my original comment, I have retired the site that all this information is published on.  You can instead download from Dropbox here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cua7ljey4n4a7h9/AAA0qD-jn_gyqDJTo7U8OSQ_a?dl=0

businessman-with-macbook-and-iphone-6.png

Multiple-Android-B.png