Make Sharepoint Hub site the default site for organisation

Copper Contributor

We are updating all our Sharepoint sites for the modern look and feel and have created a hub site to roll up all of the content from across our sites. I would like to replace our classic style Sharepoint home page and make the hub site the default site people land on when they go to our organisation URL.

So if they type in https://companyname.sharepoint.com it takes them to the hub site rather than the current classic site.

I cannot see any obvious way of doing this and changing the Welcome Page URL to the URL of the hub site doesn't work as it says it is not a valid URL.

Anyone had any experience with this?

5 Replies
You can turn your root site collection into a hub site and use modern features. However if you want to use a comm site template look, then you have to replace the root site collection which isn't technically supported but some people have accomplished it. See this post for reference: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Turn-Root-Site-Collection-into-Communication-Site/...

Thanks for this. I have given it a test on one of our test sites which is quite old and uses the classic look. I made it a hub site, added a page with the new look and then was able to set the welcome page as the new page I had just created. Great I thought, lets try it on our current root site.

Followed all the same steps, but when it came to creating the new page, it only allows me to create pages in the old style and not the modern look. When I go into site contents on the current root site I do not have the option to add a new page. The only way I can add a page is through the wheel cog and then add a page but this is the old style page.

Also, I only seem to get access to the hub site settings when I am in Site Contents.

Any ideas?

When I create a new page on my root site via "Add a page" in the cog wheel, I get the Modern page design. Not sure why you wouldn't. I don't think it's related to targeted release.

Do you have site publishing feature on or something? That might force classic sites etc. 

Not that I am aware off. Might do some more digging and raise a ticket with MS.

Seems I didn't have the ability to create pages on this site activated in the admin settings. Have activated this and have now been able to create a new page and will set that as the new welcome page.

Thanks for your help.