SOLVED

How to display approval status from microsoft flow on Sharepoint O365?

Brass Contributor

Hi guys, 

I'm just trying to automate the vacation request here at the company that i work for but I'm having some issues. I created a leave request list on SharePoint and I also created a flow on Microsoft Flow which is integrated to the list I have created. 

Does anyone know how to get the approval status from Microsoft flow and display it on SharePoint List? If it's not possible, is there a way of doing that without creating those old Sharepoint workflows? 

People used to create those process by using 2010 WorkFlows, unfortunately I don't have access to those workflows on my end and I also think that It's easier to create those flows through the new way that microsoft implemented. 

Thank you! 

9 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

All you have to do is use the update item action after the approval action. Use the ID from the list item you started the action / flow on. Then in the column you want the approval response to go in, you can select the response field from the approval action shown below. 

flow.jpg

Once you set it feature, make sure you do not delete any columns that are parsed by Flow - there is one bug that I have faced, it could be resolved only by recreating Update file properties/Update item action in Flow with prior clearing up all dependencies in Flow.

Hi Christopher, 

Thanks for stopping by and answering my post. I guess I am not following the logic. Do I need to create a column on my list called Approval like you have Accompaniments?  Here is how my update step looks like right now. 

Thank you. 

Yes, you would need a column to hold the approval value if you wanted it listed as part of the list item. What you would have to do is on the list itself, enable management of content types for the list. That way when you add the approval column, you can hide it from the "new" form by editing the default content type in list settings, and going to that content type and making that specific column hidden. Assuming you are collecting data here on this same form to initiate this approval flow.

Here is an old example I have, once you enable content types in advanced settings for the list, you can then edit the content type listed shown below, then in the bottom arrows is the screen you see after clicking it. Then you can find the approval column (After you create it) and mark it as hidden. This way people wont' see it on the form when submitting it. And you can add it to your list views as an available column to see. 

contenttype.jpg

Hi @Deleted, 

Hope you are doing great. Thank you for helping me out with the first approval flow. Since that day, I'm trying to create a 2-Stage approval flow but it ends up failing all the time. Have you ever done 2-Stage approval on the same flow? 

Here is the logic I'm thinking about having:

When an item is created > approvals start> Approval is sent to the first supervisor > Supervisor can approve or decline. If Supervisor approves the flows updates and continues > Second approval starts doing the same thing as the first supervisor. 

Do you think we could make one flow using this logic? Thank you! 

Never Mind, I already figured out! 

I'd love to hear the solution to the 2-step approval process you said you figured out @Rafael Benicio .

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

All you have to do is use the update item action after the approval action. Use the ID from the list item you started the action / flow on. Then in the column you want the approval response to go in, you can select the response field from the approval action shown below. 

flow.jpg

View solution in original post