Edit vs Contribute when sharing

Deleted
Not applicable

We've been testing out all the sharing possibilities and having taken the recommendation to drop the default members group permission level to 'contribute', we've noticed that when you share a file with someone (visitor -  read only) and "Allow Editing" on the share dialog, a unique permission is created on that file granting the visitor contribute permission.

However, if we leave our members at 'edit' permission level and they do the same sharing with the visitor, no unique permissions are created.

Could anyone explain what might be going on in this situation?

thanks,

Baronne

9 Replies

...furthermore, it seems to me that "Shared with Specific People" doesn't differ much (if at all) from "People with Existing Access" - we still have to remember to check/uncheck the "Allow Editing" first. Here's a series of screenshots in the order of flow for sharing:

2017-09-12 13_35_54-Clipboard.png2017-09-12 13_26_50-Clipboard.png2017-09-12 13_37_23-Clipboard.png2017-09-12 13_38_05-Clipboard.png2017-09-12 13_39_56-Clipboard.png

the thing is here, it actually makes no sense - to my mind, "People with existing access" is the equivalent of sending someone a link irrespective of their permission and for the system to not break inheritance and create a unique set of permissions on the item/file. But what seems to be happening is that it does in face break the inheritance ... not the expected behaviour!!
Can someone test this out for me on their tenant and see if you get this sort of behaviour - I'm currently on a call to Microsoft and I think they're starting to see that this indeed does seem like odd behaviour

Hi @Deleted,

I wnat to make sure I understand the exact behavior you're seeing. 

You've granted the "Team Site Vistors" group "view" permissions to the document/site. When you share a link to that group, and configure the link to only work for people with existing access, it is giving that group edit permissions. Is that correct? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

No, the Team Site Visitors remains as "read" permission (as per out the box). I share a document with a person who is in the visitor group, it gives that person contribute permissions and breaks the inheritance.

Thanks, I was able to reproduce in my environment as well. We'll investigate internally and see what's going on. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Deleted, we've identified the root cause and a fix is already in the pipeline. It should be fully deployed in the next day or two. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Stephen Rice

Thanks @stephen - can you confirm this has been rolled out and I can test/check it?
cheers,
Baronne
Hi Baronne,

Yes, this is 100% fixed now. Thanks!

Stephen Rice