Append text fields not displayed properly in modern SP list view

Brass Contributor

We use a couple of SP lists for form related business processes, like User Access Requests.  In those lists we use the append text fields for comments, but also to document approvals from the person's manager and HR.  In the new modern SP list; however, text in a field that is listed as an "append text" field, is not displayed on the list item when you view it. 

In addition, when you look at the history on the list item, you can see when and who has made changes to the list item, but you cannot see what has been changed.  I do not see a way to view the version history for a list item.

I've switched back to the "classic Sharepoint" for now until I find out if I'm missing something or when/how to get this functionality back in the modern SP list.

8 Replies

I recommend you to provide feedback about this issue using the tools provided by Microsoft in the new user experience (Feedback button). By the way, adding @Lincoln DeMaris to the conversation

Thanks, did this.  I'm concerned; however, b/c this is existing functionality that is effectively now broken. 

My experience is similar, though slightly different. With the new list experience the Append changes to existing text option has no effect when using the edit form. To a user, it looks like a textbox to update, and none of the previous entries are shown. The result for my users is lots of confusion, and the isolated comments that I usually expect are mixed up with the previous commenter's text.

@Lincoln DeMaris has anyone else reported similar concerns?  Are there any indications as to where this is on the list to be addressed?

For me at least, this all seems to have been temporary (a couple of weeks). The new list experience and Append change to existing text option now works as it did in the classic interface. Thanks MS.

Wow - if that is the case that would be amazing, but it has been a while now for me and no change.  Just to check @Brian Mair - attached are two screenshots from one particular list item in both new and old list view.  Is this what you were seeing before and it is now resolved for you?

Hi @Cameron Gocke,

Thanks for verifying this with me. Just to make sure, I created a new list with the Append option, and I'm now experiencing the same issue as you with it. Not sure why my original list seems to be working properly, but I re-opened the case with MS and I'll report back here when I know more.

Just a quick update.  I finally opened a support case with MS for this, but just got the boiler plate response that the modern view lists are still in preview.  Haven't heard anything official on here from MS about this either, so I don't know what to expect.  I'm hoping the modern view isn't fully released with this issue.

For now I found out there is a List level setting that I can use to set this list to view in Classic view by default, while leaving modern view in place everywhere else, so that is what I'm doing.