SOLVED

Analysis Services connector ruined in 1707? Crashes every time

Copper Contributor

After updating to Version 1707 (8326.2052) today Excel crashes when trying to connect to OLAP cubes (SSAS - Analysis Services). 

We have tried creating new connections with no luck. Excel crashes every time. We have tested on several lenovo models, 450s, X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga. All crashes. 

Anyone else experienced or able to confirm the existance of this bug? 

26 Replies

We've got the same problem today. Excel crashes after connecting/updating data from SSAS.

Crash report from the Windows Eventlog:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.8326.2052, time stamp: 0x596eb1b1
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0xd51d5c5e
Exception code: 0xc000071f
Fault offset: 0x00093517
Faulting process id: 0x3ad8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d30ad4b449283d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a8d02573-0ee8-455c-85ce-af4745ddc9b8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The problem exists on X64 and X86. 

What we've tried:

New Connections

Other User

New Office Install (X86 and X64)

Disabling Addins 

Excel Safemode

We have the same here even with the latest update 8326.2062. We can create Analysis Service data sources ok but soon as these are refreshed Excel closes with the same event log error. 

Can you guys see if you get the same still on the very latest 2062? We are on current channel updates.

Just to add we have raised this with our premier support Microsoft TAM so will update this as we get any headway.
Thank you Thomas, and thank you all for confirming the issue, lets hope it will be resolved soon!

Tip: If you want to downgrade your enterprise office 365 to a version that works, just run the following command in CMD: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8229.2073

Confirm this on 8326.2062 Excel + Windows 10 Creators, just updated yesterday
Azure AS connectors stopped working for Excel ONLY - rolling back to previous office version

SSMS / Visual Studio works without any problems

Any feedback on this. Analysis Cubes still not working, yet somehow inconsistent. we have many users that did update to the 1707 version that do not have issues. there is no similarities between the ones that are not working and the ones that are. 

Same issue here since latest update.
Downgraded to previous office version as mentioned previously and it worked.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8229.2073

run as user or run as admin? we don't generally allow office updates as is deployed through system centre. will this still work?

I ran it as admin on my computer.
I've admin rights on my machine although I didn't need to run the cmd as admin

Hello all,

We have also had to downgrade for now. We have been looking at this with Microsoft premier support and after numerous attempts at a fix we have only been left with either downgrading or changing from Current Channel to Elite Ring which we did not want to do because of the huge jump in versions.

We have however been assured a hotfix is being worked on as we speak by the MS product group and will be released soon. I pointed my MS premier support advisor towards this discussion also and its been added to the case.

If I hear when the hotfix is out I will update again.

All the best.

Thanks Robin, works flawlesly

Now the big question, how we could know when this issue will be solved?

Thank you for reporting it, will sent it to the right people and keep you updated. 

Any feedback around timing on this? downgrading is proven to more painful than its worth.

Adding @Guy Hunkin and @Prash Shirolkar who are looking into this

Hi, just following up again on a potential hotfix ETA? are we looking at days/weeks?

This problem was in the MSOLAP data provider.  A code change was made to fix that problem, and the updated MSOLAP data provider was checked in to Office.  We just got a build and we're rolling it out now to 25% of the folks on the Insider Slow channel.  If that goes well, it will get pushed out to Production later today.  This can take a while, but the fix should be rolled out within a day or two (unless we discover some significant problem with this fix.)

Hope this helps,

-Howie

awesome news.. will this come through as a normal update that we push out through system centre?

Yes.  That's my understanding.  It's an update that's getting pushed out to address this specific problem.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Remi Øvstebø (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello, the fix is now live on 1707 (8326.2073).

View solution in original post