SOLVED

Word365 mail merge

Copper Contributor

Unable to use a Word table as a mail merge database with Word 365. Was able to with previous versions of Word.

9 Replies

@Julie_28 Hi Julie, 

Can you upload a copy of the mail merge main document and the data source so that we can investigate the issue.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

this is an example of the Word table I am trying to use as a mail merge database.

@Julie_28 Better to use Excel for the data source.  However do NOT use # as a field name.  User Number instead.

I have used a Word document as the data source for many years. Now with Word 365 it does not appear to work. Is this an oversight/bug in Word 365?

@Julie_28 Yes, a Word document can certainly be used as a data source.

Using your file with the attached mail merge main document, the attached Merged Result document was created by executing the merge.   (The first label is empty because there was nothing in those fields for the first record.

The Word application used is from Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, Version 2311 (Build 17029.20068 Click to Run) Current Channel.

Upload your mail merge main document and the real data source if ypu are still having a problem

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP

I receive the attached error messages when try the mail merge.  

best response confirmed by Julie_28 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Julie_28 Put the data source on the local drive.

I recommend that you create a new folder in the root directory of the C: drive (I suggest naming it Merge Files, but that is not essential) and put the data source into that folder and then attach it to the mail merge main document from that location.

That worked!! Thank you very much!

@Julie_28 Have you tried using external mail merge app?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Julie_28 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Julie_28 Put the data source on the local drive.

I recommend that you create a new folder in the root directory of the C: drive (I suggest naming it Merge Files, but that is not essential) and put the data source into that folder and then attach it to the mail merge main document from that location.

View solution in original post