Word Formatting differences between previewing in document folder vs. opening in Microsoft 365

Copper Contributor

I had an older iMac that wasn't compatible with Microsoft Office 365. I bought a brand new iMac and downloaded the Microsoft 365 suite from my subscription. When I look at a Word document in the folder it is saved in, the font and formatting is different than when I open it in Microsoft 365.

This is very frustrating because I have spend a lot of money to use the new Microsoft 365. I'm particularly concerned because the most important document at the moment is my resume. I have spend hours on the phone and chat. The last gentleman that was attempting to assist me, suggested I post a discussion in this forum. I have yet to get the support needed, explanation or the issue resolved. 

I look forward to hearing from the Community Team. 

Thank you...

5 Replies
Hello, when you see the file in Preview mode in the folder, the file explorer shows an HTML version of your file. This can be replicated when opening the file and going to the Web Layout view so that you can see it in Microsoft 365 in the same way it will be shown by the file explorer.

You will need to know a lot of technical details about each shape and paragraph you put on your page in order for the CV to look the same to both viewers.

What most people do is create their CV in Word, export it as PDF, and then the PDF will look the same on either viewer.

About the fonts being changed. That comes the fact that the Microsoft 365 suite does its best to match the font the document was created on. But, most of the time it fails. So, what I would recommend you is to create your documents using a font that exists by default in Mac nad Windows for Microsoft 365.

If that sounds too complex. That is what I do to make a living. So, if you are willing to get professional help on that. Please let me know.

@DawnLeaYou should not need to pay for help, but it may be quickest. Be sure of price and a guarantee.

That said, Word Online and Word's Desktop Application are different programs, as is the Mac Desktop app. Even if the same document is opened in the same application on different computers, you can get different appearance.

References:

The best way to have someone else see the same thing you are is to save to pdf and send the pdf.

If the recipient absolutely needs to have a Word format file, write back and I or someone else can give you some tips to minimize distortion.

@ricardojose that does make sense. I appreciate your reply and expertise. Thank you for the explanation. 

Hi Charles, I appreciate your reply and the links to more information. This was very helpful and makes sense. Thank you!