skipping the first row in a repeated header

Copper Contributor

Hi

I use Office 365

In MS Word, I have a large table and it covers 3 pages. I repeated the header but I need to add a note before the repeated header above each table in pages 2 and 3 . Is there a way to do it?

3 Replies

@raedgazo 

You can't choose not to repeat the first row in a table and at the same time have the second row repeat, if that is what you are asking.

Instead, what you can do is add your notes above each table. A macro may be able to automate this for you. If the document isn't that large, the easiest method may be to manually make the notes, of course.

Hello @raedgazo ,

yes, there is, a bit convoluted though.

You need to make that table as part of a new section. Meaning, the table will have its own section. Continuous should do the trick.

Then you type your note into the header. Thus your table will have the header row repeated AND have the note above it.

You need to make sure that the section's header is not link to previous nor the following one is linked to this one. Then the header can function as a workaround. 

You may want to insert the table into a standalone ("next page") section and play around with the header space.

Let us know how it went.

@Lenka_Kerumova , @raedgazo 

Good idea. By adding section breaks, you can enter repeated information in the First Page Header (after having selected "Different first page" in the Page Setup dialog box). Of course, this only works if it is suitable to insert a section break before each new table. It may not be worth the effort if the number of tables is large, for example, because the document (and its text flow) would be "split."