SOLVED

Right Margin Error

Silver Contributor

So this is hard to explain and you will probably have to see in the attached file.  I have a template document that mostly uses tables which can be stretched just fine and the header and footer is fine, but I just noticed where I was typing text the word wrap is happening way before the right edge.  I checked the margins and the carriage return triangle thing on the ruler and settings in the paragraph settings and can't figure it out.  I have tried changing orientation and some of the above setting to only get more mystified.  Both landscape and portrait had the same wrap point but changing margins or carriage return location causes the wrap point to also change proportionately.  Can anyone help me find and clear the problem setting?  I would rather not recreate the template that is having this issue.

Thank you.

3 Replies
I have "found the problem" I think but still don't understand how it happened nor how to fix it, only a work around. So the Margin set using the ruler tool is apparently disconnected from the Margin set using the main menus (e.g. Layout -> margin). So if I move the margin using the ruler (the line between white and gray) it ONLY affects the header and footer, but using the margin menu will change the margin shown on the ruler and hence header and footer and the body proportionately. So I moved the margin on the ruler to match the body text and then changed the margin using the menu to be what I want. As long as I don't use the ruler's margin tool all is fine. Can anyone explain how this happened? Is this normal? It doesn't act this way in my other documents.
best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hi mtarler,
Just put cursor on line "But text like this will continue..." and click on Layout menu, In Page Setup, There is Column option, Click One.
Hope this will suffice.
Regards,
Afzal

@Afzal_Sheikh  Thank you.  I knew there had to be a setting somewhere.  When I first saw your response I though there was no way I missed it having multiple columns, but sure enough the document was already set at 1 Column.  But even as 1 column you can define that column width:

mtarler_0-1631880470904.png

I don't know how or why this happened but many thanks to @Afzal_Sheikh for pointing me in the right direction.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hi mtarler,
Just put cursor on line "But text like this will continue..." and click on Layout menu, In Page Setup, There is Column option, Click One.
Hope this will suffice.
Regards,
Afzal

View solution in original post