~$ Problem to open Word File

Copper Contributor

For some reason some of my files change sometimes to where I can't open them anymore. 

Even when I try to bring them back from a back up I have the same problem opening them. 

Does somebody have an idea based on the errors in the screenshots which setting hast to be changed to view the files ? Since the same error occurs when I'm trying to open the same file from a back up, I'm assuming  the problem is within Microsoft  Word !?

( I'm using a Mac OS 12.2)

Wr

13 Replies
Does it maybe have something to do with the coding ?
This is the Window that comes up when I'm trying to open the files that now all have a " ~$ "
in-front of the name ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-wv6RgWI3cwQB10SRuIf1GTVVRhujsT/view?usp=sharing

Hi,
Those are temporary files you can't open with Word.
Kind regards
Hans

Hello @tobyreal.

To read the files: make a copy of the file and rename it without the special characters.

To fix the issue: I'd suggest to clean uninstall and reinstall of MS Office. Not repair, reinstall.

Hope this helps.

@Lenka_Kerumova Renaming the file without the ~$ will NOT work.

Such files are "lock" files that Word creates when a document is open and if the document closes normally, they will be deleted.  Sometimes however they are left behind, but because they only have a file size of 1KB they do NOT contain the content of the document. 

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1660862972545.png

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP , correct. With the exception of corrupted files. Those are then much bigger. Those then DO contain some content. 

I could open only 1 picture pasted in the original post, so have there been examples of the 1KB files, then my post correctly does not provide any useful information.

@Hans Le Roy How did those files change into temporary files ?
I tried to make a copy and rename them but they still don't open.

here are 2 of those files maybe somebody can tell me what's wrong with them or try to open them !?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VJfUDSbMeoSbIQ48R3Q4KoKmoRxsQBTw?usp=sharing

A file with the the first two characters of the name of Word document replaced by ~$ is NOT your file. Rather, it is a "lock file" created by Word when a file is open, that contains just the name of the user who opened the file. When a document is closed, those files are deleted. However, if Word crashes, they may be left behind.

@tobyreal The file ~$lver Camaro Sign - Personalized - No XM.docx contains just the name of the user who had the file open when that file, which is the "lock file" that is created when a Word document is opened, which in the case of that file was "Microsoft Office User"

When opened with a HexEditor, it reveals

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1660901031511.png

Likewise, the Maintainance1.xlsx contains just

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1660901267770.png

Ok thank you for everybody on this thread ... so since we established here that these ~$ files are empty and duplicate files, I did some digging on my HD and found the original files with similar names without the ~$. So these files must be established by renaming the original files and remaining somewhere close in the same folders where the Original file is or was before.
As advised, the files are not quite empty and nor should they be considered a duplicate of the actual document file. The ~$ files are created by Word when a document is opened and it the document is closed in the normal manner, they are deleted. They are NOT created by renaming the original file.
Ah ok thank you for explaining that !