SOLVED

Pilcrow symbol doesn't take contextual alternates and is visible

Copper Contributor

Hi!! I'm involved in the development of a typeface and it's getting a problem with the pilcrow symbol, the typeface works entirely with the calt feature an this modifies the pilcrow so that every end of line gets a wrong character (the space perhaps):

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 16.58.09.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-23 at 17.01.56.png

It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 16.58.56.png

We've tried with open type replacement for the character displayed but the feature doesn't recognize it as any space or as a pilcrow.

Thanks for your help.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by eduairet (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The end of every line will get either a space, a new line character or an end of paragraph character (pilcrow) and there is no way to prevent that.

I'm not willing to prevent it, I want to find a way to use it as the space.alt character which doesn’t have the strokes that make the boxes, this is the default behavior added via contextual alternates but it keeps displaying the space character with boxes instead, the only way found to prevent this so far is changing the typeface of that pilcrow hidden/unhidden symbol or perhaps reverse the logic of the features :thinking_face:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by eduairet (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The end of every line will get either a space, a new line character or an end of paragraph character (pilcrow) and there is no way to prevent that.

View solution in original post