SOLVED

Page Break in Word document

Copper Contributor

I have a little issue with WORD when I insert a Page Break (with "Ribbon Insert, then Icon Page Break"). From WORD at home (01) and WORD at work (02), I got 2 different results (See attachment Capture 01 & 02). And I can't control it, even when I tried with "Ribbon Layout, Paragraph (little arrow in the corner), then Line and Page Breaks", it doesn't help.

Capture01.PNG

Capture02.PNG

Do you know what is the difference and how to control the display? Obviously, if you hide the Paragraph Mark, you won't see the difference. But, when I am using VBA to create a document from 2 various source (WORD from home or from work), I will have a small issue. Therefore, I would like to understand how to control this Page Break one way or another.

I also attached 2 WORD files showing the issue.

It may be simple, but I can't see it.

Thanks,

JLuc01

6 Replies

@JLuc01 

Generally, how Word manages manual breaks and paragraph marks will depend on the version of Word you are using and/or which version of Word created the document. Newer versions add both a page break and a paragraph mark as you insert a page break (while older versions do/did not).

Are the documents saved in the exact same format? Is one of the documents displaying in compatibility mode? 

I thought as well it could be a problem with different version, but I can't really see a difference when I have a look on the WORD document properties (PB_H has been created in November 2021 and PB_W has been created in February 2019).
But today, I did see one difference when I look on the title on the top of the WORD document: one of them shows "PB_H - Word" and the other one shows "PB_W [Compatibility Mode] - Word".
But, what is the meaning of Compatibility Mode? Not sure.
Is there a way to get a better control of this Page Break whatever version I am using? If not, I will have to stick with the newer version (Page Break + Paragraph Mark).
I know I am making a fuss for a details, but when I do some VBA coding, I need to know if I have an extra Paragraph Mark or not.
Thanks for your reply.
JLuc01
best response confirmed by JLuc01 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JLuc01 

Compatibility mode means that the document format is older than the version of Word which is currently editing or viewing the document. The reason could be that an older version of Word has created the document, or that the document has been saved in such a way that it maintains compatibility with older file formats. 

A document in Compatibility mode can be "upgraded" via File > Info > Convert. 

A different approach is not to make use of a manual page break at all. Instead, you can add "Page break before" formatting to an appropriate text paragraph to force it to a new page. 

Thank you for these explanations, I have learnt something about Compatibility Mode, and the upgrade made the change I wanted.
OK, I also understand how to do the "Page Break Before" now. But, I am not so sure to see an advantage. I usually prefer to see clearly he Page Break on the screen.
Thank you for your help.
JLuc01

@JLuc01 

The advantage with "Page break before" formatting is that it can be added to a paragraph style, which means that the formatting can be re-used, in the same way you can re-use other formatting.

In addition, the formatting will not add a visible break in the document, so there is no risk that you remove it by mistake, for example.

OK, thank you for the clarification.
JLuc01
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JLuc01 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JLuc01 

Compatibility mode means that the document format is older than the version of Word which is currently editing or viewing the document. The reason could be that an older version of Word has created the document, or that the document has been saved in such a way that it maintains compatibility with older file formats. 

A document in Compatibility mode can be "upgraded" via File > Info > Convert. 

A different approach is not to make use of a manual page break at all. Instead, you can add "Page break before" formatting to an appropriate text paragraph to force it to a new page. 

View solution in original post