MS WORD 365 Rows in a Table

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to hide or unhide rows in a MS Word 365 Table.

4 Replies

Hi @Janis1114,

Microsoft Word really does not have a native "hide" or "unhide" feature for rows within a table.

You can try to use these workarounds to achieve a similar effect:

1. Adjust row height: Decrease the row height to a minimal value, effectively hiding the content within the row. Right-click on the row(s), choose "Table Properties," go to the "Row" tab, and set a very small value for the row height. This makes the content less visible.

2. Apply font formatting: Change the font color of the content in the row(s) to match the table's background color. This makes the text appear hidden. Select the text within the row(s) and change the font color to match the table background color.

These workarounds provide just a visual illusion of hiding rows, but they do not have the same functionality as hiding rows in Excel.

If you think my answer helped you, you can click on Mark as best response.

Kindest regards

Leon Pavesic

@Janis1114 Is this requirement in connection with a mail merge operation?  If so, there is a way to do it using If...then...Else routines with which I can help you if you upload a copy of the mail merge main document and the data source.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Hi Doug, Thank you so much for replying. No it’s not for a mail merge. I have a table that covers 14 page and it is set up with one row being a heading and the one below, the details. I’d like to be able to print the heading firstly without the second row of details and them the opposite. Is there a way I can do this with a MS word 365 file?

@Janis1114 If you select the second row and format the font used for it as Hidden, and the toggle the display\printing of Hidden text, you will be able to do what you want.