Microsoft Word Style Templates

Copper Contributor

I would like a way to organize my styles by what type of document I am creating instead of keeping all of my styles in Normal.dotm; however, I seem to not be able to create multiple .dotm files in the templates folder under the AppData\Microsoft directory and access them in the style manager. Is there any way to do this or something like this where I could use different templates for the importing and exporting of styles within documents?

I know that I can create templates for different document types and keep the styles on there, but I would rather have a way to separate styles into different .dotm files so I don't have to use templates.

3 Replies

@MontBlancNoland There should be no restriction on saving templates into the User Templates folder that by default is located at C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

However to simplify the process, go to File>Options>Customize Quick Access Toolbar and then select all Command from the Choose commands from: control and locate the New Document or Template command and click on the Add button to add it to the Quick Access Toolbar

When you use that command, the following dialog will be displayed and if you select the Template radio button, when you click on Save, it is the 

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder that will appear by default as the location into which the template will be saved.  

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1680657464272.png

Thank you for your help, however I realized what I was doing wrong. I simply needed to close the Normal.dotm file in the import/export menu and open the file I want to import styles from. I thought any .dotm files in the directory would show up in the drop down menu which is where the confusion came from.

@MontBlancNoland 

You may want to look into using [Quick] Style Sets and Themes.