Making a Template with Automation

Copper Contributor

I'm a newb to this forum but have used Word off and on for 30+ years.  I'm sure my inexperience here will be obvious. 

I'm trying to create a Word template file (.dotx).  I have mocked up a format but don't see a means to attach it to this post.  I've used templates that create calendars that can be chosen from within Word.  (See:   File > New > "Horizontal Calendar (Sund... " > Create > Panel (Select Calendar Dates) within Word for an example that is similar to what I want to do).  The user simply provides a little information and the template generates a printable, saveable file.  I want to do something similar.  I need direction from someone with more experience than I have because I have no idea how the create the placeholders for variables nor how to set up entry.

Having created a template file that shows where month, year, day of week and day of month would appear to print a journal.  The layout varies depending on whether the page is odd or even numbered because I plan to print the pages on fronts of backs of paper.

I have layout but need to learn how to do markup placeholders in the template file and - probably more difficult - how to setup a panel that appears when the template file is loaded.

If someone could tell me how to post my layout and .dotx files, I'll be glad to do so.  I chose the dotx template because I'm not sure whether macros will be needed.  Of course if they are I'll change the file.

I hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.

TIA

JK

4 Replies

@JoseKOwl To upload an attachment, click on the "Open full text editor" link.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1672366004521.png

For what you are wanting to do, see the following pages of Greg Maxey's website :

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Thanks for the information, Doug.

I don't have the link except when replying.  What am I missing?

Here is what I see when I Edit my OP.

JoseKOwl_0-1672536715060.png

@JoseKOwl Create a Reply and then click on the Link.

I am not sure of the situation when you edit your original question, however when you do create a new discussion, there is a facility to attach files to it.  (Do not start a new discussion for this subject)

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1672551425698.png

@JoseKOwl 

What you are asking to do is not quite possible with a .dotx template. It would require a .dotm template with macros as described by Doug. This is not a bad thing but some locations do not allow use of macros.

To keep it .dotx, you could have a cover page that has Mapped Content Controls that are copied into other parts of the document. See: