Item number repeated in endnotes

Copper Contributor

In the endnotes of my document, note 7 is correctly labeled but note 8 is incorrectly labeled as 7 (a repeat), and all following notes are numbered one number lower than they should be, i.e., 9 is 8, 10 is 9, etc. Please tell me how to correct this.

8 Replies

@kenvandellen 

Could you post a link to a sample document with the problem.

I would suggest a copy that has the pages that originate your notes 6, 7, 7, and 8 and then has the misnumbered endnotes.

Here is my article in another forum that tells how to prepare such a link.

Why a sample file is important for troubleshooting - - - - - - - and how to do it.

@Charles_Kenyon 

I used Dropbox several years ago but have forgotten how. May I just send the first few pages of my document and the endnotes to you? The links appear to be present. At three weeks from 86, I'm not as tech-savvy as I once was.

@kenvandellen 

You can send it to me. My email is shown in my profile in the Microsoft Answers forum. (My recollection is that email addresses get stripped out by a bot in this forum.)

Please provide a link to this thread in your email. I will repost your document here so others can look at it as well.

Evidently, I posted my file in the wrong location. I'll try again.
It has been reposted.

@kenvandellen 

Are you going to post a link here?

@kenvandellen 

Footnote numbering may be restarted by a section break or maybe one or more notes are treated as custom marks (inserted symbols). 

Stefan_Blom_0-1683979251598.png

Were you able to share a sample document with Charles?