SOLVED

inserting LaTeX for \Bar in equation editor

Copper Contributor

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/inserting-latex-for-bar-in-equation-editor/44...

When I insert the LaTeX expression

\Bar{\[j\]} = \frac{\[j\]}{m^{2}}

into a Word document in in the equation editor, it gives me a double overbar instead of a single one

What I get is

doubleBar.png

What I want is

Is my LaTeX expression wrong?I am using Microsoft Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.12624.20424) 64-bit

3 Replies

This was originally reported on answers.microsoft.com, and I also submitted it via File/Feedback/Send a Frown, and it has been accepted by support, so I expect that a fix will be made.

best response confirmed by Thomas Ligon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Thomas Ligon yeah actually the command for a single bar is \bar and a double bar is \Bar

@Jazzmyne 

thanks!! This is the perfect answer to how to do this in Word Equation Editor, and that's all I need, since I produce my mathematics and mathematical physics papers in Word, and not LaTeX.

Now, I was hoping to find a more complete response, so I tried to find this definition on the Internet, and maybe even find the source for my error. I failed again. I wasn't able to find an authoritative "reference" for LaTeX. I found descriptions of \bar, and \bar{\bar{...}}, but not \Bar.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Thomas Ligon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Thomas Ligon yeah actually the command for a single bar is \bar and a double bar is \Bar

View solution in original post