SOLVED

How can I change the chapter or section TOC's indentation without changing the main TOC indentation

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I was using TOC filed code with /b to create a TOC under Section 1 that only shows heading3 title and page numbers. But it always has 0.4" left indentation, how can I set zero indentation just for Section1 TOC, but still keep 0.4" left indentation in the main TOC. Also I want the Section1 TOC should still keep zero indentation after update TOC itself. Please see the picture below. 

Thanks.

TOC.PNG

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Frank1011101 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Frank1011101 

If I understand the requirement, you want the Table of Contents itself to appear as

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1654124289421.png

and in Section 1, you want

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_2-1654124323175.png

You might be able to do that by inserting TC fields that contain the text of the headings in the Heading 3 style and assigning them to Outline level 4,

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_3-1654124580003.png

and then in Section1, create a table of contents using Outline levels

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_4-1654124694155.png

and format the TOC 4 style so that it has the required attributes.

If that doesn't work, you could create the Table of Contents for Section 1 by bookmarking the Headings and then using cross-references to the text of the bookmark and to the page number of the bookmark with the latter cross reference located at a tab stop that you set up in the required position and with a leader so that it has the required appearance.

Hi Doug,

Thank you so much! Yes so I followed your first solution, and it worked. I created TC at the end of each title, and also added a letter identifier for different sections. It worked as I expected, thanks for your help.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Frank1011101 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Frank1011101 

If I understand the requirement, you want the Table of Contents itself to appear as

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1654124289421.png

and in Section 1, you want

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_2-1654124323175.png

You might be able to do that by inserting TC fields that contain the text of the headings in the Heading 3 style and assigning them to Outline level 4,

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_3-1654124580003.png

and then in Section1, create a table of contents using Outline levels

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_4-1654124694155.png

and format the TOC 4 style so that it has the required attributes.

If that doesn't work, you could create the Table of Contents for Section 1 by bookmarking the Headings and then using cross-references to the text of the bookmark and to the page number of the bookmark with the latter cross reference located at a tab stop that you set up in the required position and with a leader so that it has the required appearance.

View solution in original post