Embedded Video Won't Play in Word

Copper Contributor

Greetings! I am using Word for Microsoft 365 on an updated version of Windows 10. I can embed a video from YouTube; however, I can't play it once embedded. When I click on it to play it or right-click and then select "Play Video" from the shortcut menu, all I see is a large white box. (I do have Edge and Explorer 11 installed, for what it's worth.) 

Any suggestions on how to play the embedded video will be very, very much appreciated! 

Thank you,

Erin

35 Replies
Good morning everyone! I just bought a Windows 11 machine and the embedded video still will not play in Word. :(
What do you all mean by embedding a video?

If I copy and paste and .mp4 file into a Word document, when I double click on it, I am asked if I want to open it and if I respond Yes, it opens and plays with the Movies & TV Video Player.

This thread isn't about copy and pasting video links into a doc. It's about using Word's Online Video insertion tool in the Insert tab. When the video is inserted, I can double-click it but nothing happens; there's just a big white box. Please see TaylaSian's screenshot above.

@ErinWright That's the reason for my question. Where on the Insert tab is an Online Video insertion tool?

2022-03-27_08-42-00.png

@ErinWright What Version and Build of Office are you using?

Here, I am using

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1648383886424.png

I am using Version 2202 Build 16.0.14931.20128.

@ErinWright Hi! I am also having this problem. I am doing a rhetorical analysis of Apple and Samsung advertisements, and my embedded videos have the black/white pop-up as well. Hopefully we can figure this out, but it seems some type of conflict between office and windows...

Thank you for letting us know! If you haven't already done so, please do report the issue to Microsoft. Only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. :)
Apr 03 2022 07:14 AM
Online Video Insertion

Greetings everyone! I'm trying to insert an online video into my Word document. The program appears to insert the video, but when I click on the video, a white square appears superimposed over the document... it remains on the screen even after I close the document. I've tried several YouTube videos and the same thing happens every time. I also did a Bing video search, but it didn't give me the option to insert a video.

Any ideas, anyone?
This is exactly why I revived this thread.
Same problem on 2 PC's, both running Office 365 (Dutch), with AutoUpdate of the version.
Sofar no one has found a solution.
Thank you! I'm also using Office 365 and I have Windows for Home installed.
See the following for some information on Inserting Videos in Word and a reason for them not being able to be played:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/about-inserting-and-playing-online-videos-in-word-2088ec2...

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP Thank you for sharing the link. Unfortunately, it's still a glitch because I do have the required browsers and the required permissions on my Windows 10 machine and my Windows 11 machine. 

Hello, everyone! The embedded videos have suddenly started to play! I tested it on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 and both are working. I hope you are all seeing the same thing?

@ErinWright and all others:

Yesterday I had a Windows update and it's working at my end as well.
Looks like Microsoft found some glitch/bug somewhere that has been solved.

Just hoping that the rest of you will have the same positive result after a Windows update.

I'm happy now and will step out of this discussion.

Happy Easter!