Custom number format aa, bb, cc, ...

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create a style sheet in Word, defining a new number format under "Numbering". It is supposed to look like a german legal term paper, first aa), then bb), then cc), etc. Unfortunately, for the number format I can only use the number format template a, b, c, ... With this, the numbering is unfortunately only continued as follows: aa, ba, ca, ... Is there a way to adjust the number format so that it works automatically and looks like this: aa, bb, cc, etc.?

1 Reply

@sonnenti Insert a pair of SEQ fields as shown below

{ SEQ First \* alphabetic }{ SEQ Second \* alphabetic }

using CTRL+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters and when you use Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes, you will see

aa

To facilitate repetitious use, I would follow it with a tab space and then select the aa and the tab space and go to File>Options>Proofing>AutoCorrect Options and via the AutoCorrect tab of the AutoCorrect dialog, select the Formatted text option and then type two letters (such as aa) in the Replace control and then click on Add

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1676755713210.png

Then, whenever you type those two letters and press the space bar, they will be replaced by the next to letters in the sequence