SOLVED

Collapsing Figures under a heading after Page Break

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am attempting to insert a figure into my document, but in order to do so I require one of the pages to become landscape. In word this can only be accomplished using a page break. This is an issue because I want that same figure to collapse under a heading in the previous 'section' before the page break. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

8 Replies

Hello @rsirjani ,

figures (captions) are automated fields that don't care for section breaks.

Their field "shows" the nearest heading style so a section break cannot break that. 

Can you post a picture of where it doesn't work, and perhaps what's in the figure's field?

Hi @rsirjani ,

right, so I see we are meaning two different things.

Do I understand that what you want to do is the chapter heading to be on the same page with the figure? If yes, where is the section break?

Edit: It is useful to have the nonprinting characters switched on (ctrl+shift+8 on the keyboard, not the num pad).

Hello,
No, I want the figure to collapse with the rest of the text under the chapter heading 'Chapter 2: Methods and Materials'. That way everything in chapter 2 will collapse under it's heading and the next thing I will see is chapter 3.
best response confirmed by rsirjani (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @rsirjani,

I am sorry I misunderstood your message because you talk of page breaks, which confused me, and because you seemed to understand that collapsing is interrupted by sections breaks. 

I therefore thought your problem was different. My apologies.

The answer to your question is no, there isn't.

@rsirjani 

You can use Outline view (click View > Outline) if you want to be able to collapse and expand text paragraphs that are subordinate to a heading. This works even if a section break is present.

Thank you!
However this view messes with the formatting of my bibliography. What I want to do is not really possible in the current version of Microsoft word. Maybe this problem can be resolved in the next version for windows 11!

@rsirjani 

Note that Outline view will display a simplified document layout, but it won't change the document permanently. You can switch between Outline view and Print Layout view as required.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rsirjani (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @rsirjani,

I am sorry I misunderstood your message because you talk of page breaks, which confused me, and because you seemed to understand that collapsing is interrupted by sections breaks. 

I therefore thought your problem was different. My apologies.

The answer to your question is no, there isn't.

View solution in original post