SOLVED

Borders not showing on file saved as a PDF

Copper Contributor

I have several documents that I have created with lots of borders - they are report cards for our school. When I save them as a PDF some of the borders do not show in the PDF.

I have tried turning all of the borders off and reapplying them

I have tried turning off the top / bottom / side borders and turning them back on in the specific area with the issues

I am using Word 2016 on a Windows 10 and a Windows 11 computer

4 Replies
If you upload a copy of the Word document(s), one of use will investigate the problem.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Thanks Doug. I am new to this forum and not seeing a place to upload a file - only a place to share links. I work in a Google school so the best I can do is share this folder with anyone  with the link can view

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NasOy8pN5QnmlLdDpKWSdHsDQrlfJdeD?usp=sharing

Sample Word 2016 file and sample PDF 

best response confirmed by Kevinmod (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Kevinmod The issue is with the application with which you are viewing the pdf.  In Adobe Acrobat, at a magnification of 125%, some of the borders do not appear

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1659297952542.png

But, at 150%, they do

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1659298006153.png

If the pdf is opened in Google Chrome, the borders are rendered correctly at 100%

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_2-1659298066741.png

and, it is not until you reduce the size to <75% that some of the borders do not appear

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_3-1659298225157.png

NOTE, in this response, all the screenshot have been sized to fill the available width of the Editor.

Thank you for the help! I do know they print out correctly but it was bothersome for some of our admin team - now that I have an explanation for them it should suffice
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kevinmod (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Kevinmod The issue is with the application with which you are viewing the pdf.  In Adobe Acrobat, at a magnification of 125%, some of the borders do not appear

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1659297952542.png

But, at 150%, they do

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1659298006153.png

If the pdf is opened in Google Chrome, the borders are rendered correctly at 100%

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_2-1659298066741.png

and, it is not until you reduce the size to <75% that some of the borders do not appear

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_3-1659298225157.png

NOTE, in this response, all the screenshot have been sized to fill the available width of the Editor.

View solution in original post