Upgrading to Windows 11

Brass Contributor

We are in the process of running a PoC upgrading Win10 Enterprise devices to Win11. 

This is being done by using the Intune Feature Update policies along with Config Profiles setting the TargetReleaseVersion in the registry.

1. Is the TargetReleaseVersion still required? Used previous to set a specific OS version to stop devices upgrading beyond X version

2. Some devices are upgrading to Windows 11 and bring up the User OOBE screen of Autopilot and just sit there. Rebooting the device then takes the user to logon screen. Logging in and the device has successfully. Have you guys seen that before?

7 Replies

@nlmitchell , 

Using a feature update profile and the Target Release Version will actually conflict, so if you are using the feature update profiles, I'd recommend clearing the TRV policy.  And, you can keep devices on your target feature update using the feature update profiles as well.  Even better, you get update reporting with feature update profiles.

I have not seen the autopilot issue you describe.  I'd recommend removing the Target Release Version and see if you are still seeing the autopilot issue.

-David

We did wonder if it would clash. Our feeling was to leave the profile setting the TRV in place whilst we transition to Win11 and then remove it :)
Happy to remove now though as it's on extra thing to manage.
There was an issue back at the end of 2020 where co-managed (between MECM and Intune) devices would go and grab the later OS if a TRV wasn't set, hence we implemented it via a config profile using the Settings Catalog.

Like I say though, happy to remove it going forward.

Question: if we cancel all deployments of the Config Profile that is setting the TRV to 21H2, will device blank out the value when they call back in to Intune for policy?

That's a great question. I'm not sure and will ask to find out what happens when you remove a specific policy setting, and what it sets the client to... I'm not sure... so to be safe, I'd leave the setting in the configuration policy, but set the value to a blank/empty string. Once you are confident that change has been deployed to all your devices, then it's definitely safe to remove the configuration policy.

-David
Thanks, be interested in knowing the answer on this one. What I don't want to do is remove the Config Profile which in turn makes a change to the 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\current\device\Update\TargetReleaseVersion' String Value forcing the client to check for the latest OS available, i.e. Win11 and implement that before we're ready.

Technically it 'shouldn't' as most of our devices are being targeted by the Win10 21H2 Feature Update policy in Intune, but not a risk I really want to take at the moment :)
That is a good point. You do want to ensure the devices are fully in the Feature update profile before removing the TargetReleaseVersion setting. The best way to do that is to check the Feature update report and see that the device is listed in the report.

-David
Thanks David, I must admit I do find those reports can be a bit slow to update sometimes. Will have a look and consider our options around the TRV going forward
Working on that! Our goal is for the reports to update within 8 hours. Actually seeing that most of the time, but not always and are working to isolate and resolve those delays.