Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

RSAT missing DNS Server Tools?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

on a fresh Win 10 insider client (16278 updated to 16299) I installed Windows_InsiderPreview_RSAT_x64_16279 but it seems to be missing DNS Server Tools, the MMC snap-in. All other tools like AD, DHCP, WSUS, RAS etc. are there.

It should be there, right?

Cheers, Oliver

56 Replies
Thank you Jerry! I had the same problem today
best response confirmed by Mary Hoffman (Microsoft)
Solution

[UPDATE] The final 1803 release of RSAT is now on the public RSAT download page. Look for the WS_1803 package there, thanks!

-----

Here's the official KB workaround published by the DNS team:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4055558/rsat-missing-dns-server-tool-in-windows-10-version-... (thanks @Christoff MOrlOck for posting this previously)

The RSAT download page now also has this info under Additional Information:

Issue: DNS Tools missing
Impact: WS_1709 RSAT package users
Resolution: Use the WS2016 RSAT package or apply this workaround

The DNS team has also fixed the root cause for RS4 and so the workaround will not be required for the upcoming RS4 RSAT package update.

I finished installing Build 17074 yesterday. I am missing many of my tiles on the start besides the RSAT tiles. All of my Office tiles, most of my Visual Studio tiles. And now there is a new Suggested in the left menu showing apps from the Microsoft Store.

I will run the work-around and see if it is still working, but I am looking forward to the RS4 RSAT update.
The work-around installed fine and I have my RSAT tiles back on my start menu. Just need to go find the rest of my Start Menu tiles.
Updated my workstation to 1709 yesterday and lost all shortcuts to the Server Manager. Seemed to disappear so I downloaded and installed the latest version and Manage DNS was missing. Followed the steps above by creating two txt files, copied the ~97MB WindowsTH-RSAT_WS_1709-x64.msu file to the same folder and ran the install bat as admin and it worked. Glad to have a workaround.

Work for me. Uninstall KB2693643--> restart pc--> WindowsTH-RSAT_WS2016-x64.msu 

@Jim Harle wrote:

Attached are the files I've been using for the workaround. Agreed that this issue needs to be fixed - it is a bit ridiculous. Literally - Windows haters ridicule Microsoft over stupid little things like this, and preventable mistakes just reinforce the stereotype.

i know this thread is somewhat old but this is still an ongoing issue. just wanted to point out that this workaround worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the files buddy.

This Microsoft fix worked for me on version 1709.

Happy as got my DNS Manager back !!

Just make sure file names are correct and you run batch file from command box not right click method.

I have downloaded the RS3 version of the RSAT 2016.  I now have Windows 10 Enterprise v1803 build 17133.1.  I am still using the workaround with success.  Yes, I am still losing my RSAT icons for DNS and ADUC from my Start menu after the latest Insider's build downloads and installs.  

Waiting for RS4 of the RSAT to test and see if I can install without the workaround.  I can imagine that I would have to install RSAT anytime I would install a new build.  The workaround works well for me as that is the first thing I do after a new build is to run the bat file to install my RSAT tools.

Workaround to install RSAT for WS2016

The final 1803 release of RSAT is now on the public RSAT download page. Look for the WS_1803 package there, thanks!

Thanks Sam, I just got a new build of Window 10 installed for 1803, build 17661.1001.  It worked fine.  I installed the WindowsTH-RSAT_WS_1803-x64.msu.  The DNS tile and all the tools showed up on my Start menu where they used to be. 

After a new build is installed, I have missing tiles where my RSAT tiles were set.  They returned as I expected.  I deleted the workaround.  I'll continue testing, but I think everything is working as desired.

Good job!

The silly recommendations are still listed under the "Additional Information" section:

RSAT package recommendations:

When to use WS_1803 RSAT Package: When managing Windows Server, version 1803 or Windows Server, version 1709
When to use WS2016 RSAT Package: When managing Windows Server 2016 or previous versions

There are three packages available for download - WS2016, WS_1709, and WS_1803. So the recommendations imply to ignore the WS_1709, and use the newest WS_1803 instead for that. But if you're running Server 2016, go with the WS2016.

What if you're managing mixed environments? Why not make the latest RSAT compatible with all Server versions?

I realize that the WS_1803 probably works for everything. MS just needs to own this concept. The current approach (of matching RSAT packages to server versions) just causes confusion.

DNS management tools are STILL broken in Win10 N 1909. 

Microsoft now insists that all RSAT should install using the Add Feature (please read https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520&40ddd5bd-f9e7-49a6-3526-f86656931a02=...) on the RSAT download page: 

"IMPORTANT: Starting with Windows 10 October 2018 Update, RSAT is included as a set of "Features on Demand" in Windows 10 itself. See "Install Instructions" below for details, and "Additional Information" for recommendations and troubleshooting. RSAT lets IT admins manage Windows Server roles and features from a Windows 10 PC." 

The published work-around (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/system-management-components/rsat-clien... contains downloads for RSAT for 1709 and 1803, which violate the "IMPORTANT" notice for the Add Feature directive. And do not work because the work-around is built for 1709 or 1803, not 1909 and later feature releases of Win10. 

The earlier recommendation in this thread to copy 4 files into my Win10 system directories from some other location and then register them is nice to have, but it violates the security of the OS ... I can't believe Microsoft is really allowing this situation to continue with out addressing the root-cause!  It is a partial answer because it omits the DNS command-line tool (somewhat nit-picking here, since Win2016 uses PowerShell, but if you are managing old DNS or have scripts and need backward compatibility to the original DNSCMD command line DNS interface, you still need DNSCMD).

So the updated work-around answer to this thread is below:

Copy from C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32:
  dnscmd.exe
  dnsmgmt.msc
  dnsmgr.dll
To C:\Windows\System32

Copy from C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\en-us:
  dnscmd.exe.mui
  dnsmgmt.msc
  DNSmgr.dll.mui
To C:\Windows\System32\en-us

Elevated command prompt:
  regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\dnsmgr.dll

Make a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\dnsmgmt.msc and copy the shortcut into your Start Menu
  %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Administrative Tools\

Please see my last post to this thread for the updated, complete work-around answer. Kindly mark my update as the answer to help all others who find their way here by searching.

Correction: As of Win10 1909 N feature release, the DNS management tool is available in the Add Features settings. Please ignore the previous rant about RSAT and DNS not being available.

I had previously installed all of the RSAT tools using the Add Feature portion of Settings, but was missing DNS. I found I also was missing a few others. So looked into further and found the problem is that the installer is balky. So if you select multiple, they seem to get queued up. Be careful to not interrupt the installer! Or, in my case, you do not have a complete winsxs library of all feature cab files. I am still working on getting a complete winsxs folder with all of the required cab files for RSAT.

For the record, here are screenshots.

gperkins_0-1602687597051.png

gperkins_1-1602687597067.png

gperkins_2-1602687597072.png

gperkins_3-1602687597077.png

gperkins_4-1602687597079.png

gperkins_5-1602687597082.png

How strange and inconsistent. I merely retried and was successful on the 2nd attempt. This behavior (failed/succeeded) occurred on multiple RSAT tools.

gperkins_0-1602705814145.png

@Oliver Stähr I ran into this issue on 14/08/2019 and the following steps helped in resolving the issue.
- https://techdirectarchive.com/2019/08/14/dns-manager-console-missing-for-rsat-client-on-windows-10/