SOLVED

Running 2019 and 2022 window server in 2012 datacenter

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I'm new here and I just want to inquire or have a guidance on something regarding running a windows server 2019 or 2022 servers on a windows server datacenter 2012. The purpose is, firstly WinSvr 2012 end of support will end on Oct 13, 2023 to be exact (correct me if I am wrong) and we are just planning to procure a new server with either 2019 or 2022 datacenter and I just want to setup a virtual machine running a 2019 or 2022 version of window server to migrate our 2012 systems and application.  Is it possible? I believe that running a window server in a datacenter is free using a MAK license (Just correct me on that if I am wrong) I also have a KMS server to the licensing just in case. But I just want to clarify and hear your comments. 

Thank you so much, hopefully I get a response from you guys to help me with this. 

1 Reply
best response confirmed by dennisLCR (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Some general info
- Each host needs to be licensed.
- A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor and a minimum of 16 core licenses is required for each server.
- Core licenses are sold in packs of two.
- Standard Edition provides rights for up to 2 Operating System Environments or Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation when all physical cores in the server are licensed. For each additional 1 or 2 VMs, all the physical cores in the server must be licensed again.
- DataCenter Edition provides rights for unlimited Operating System Environments or Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation when all physical cores in the server are licensed.
AVMA keys can be used only when the host is DataCenter edition

A DataCenter license provides for unlimited hosting but does not provide unlimited activations of host product key. In order to make use of unlimited hosting you should install a DataCenter host and use AVMA activations. This also provides the benefit of allowing activation ranging from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2022 both editions.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/automatic-vm-activation  

In your case you could export the VMs from 2012 and import to a DataCenter 2019 or 2022 host no issues.  

please don't forget to mark helpful replies  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dennisLCR (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Some general info
- Each host needs to be licensed.
- A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor and a minimum of 16 core licenses is required for each server.
- Core licenses are sold in packs of two.
- Standard Edition provides rights for up to 2 Operating System Environments or Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation when all physical cores in the server are licensed. For each additional 1 or 2 VMs, all the physical cores in the server must be licensed again.
- DataCenter Edition provides rights for unlimited Operating System Environments or Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation when all physical cores in the server are licensed.
AVMA keys can be used only when the host is DataCenter edition

A DataCenter license provides for unlimited hosting but does not provide unlimited activations of host product key. In order to make use of unlimited hosting you should install a DataCenter host and use AVMA activations. This also provides the benefit of allowing activation ranging from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2022 both editions.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/automatic-vm-activation  

In your case you could export the VMs from 2012 and import to a DataCenter 2019 or 2022 host no issues.  

please don't forget to mark helpful replies  

View solution in original post