SOLVED

No network for Server 2022 in Hyper-v with 2012R2 host

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

I'm having network issues running virtual Server 2022 in Hyper-V with a Server 2012 host. 

Neither of my two Server 2022 VM's have any network connection...?

First one was an upgrade from (a working) Server 2016 and second a clean install.

The Hyper-V host in question has multiple VM's ( 2008 -> 2019 + Linux ) and none of them have any network issues, only the newly added 2022's. I also tried to set static ip, but no go...same problem.

And yes, the 2022's use the same virtual switch as the working ones.

I can see in the dhcp-server (running wireshark) that the failing servers are sending DHCP Discover(s), and the dhcp-server replying with Offer(s) but the 2022's ignores these requests.

Interestingly, when running a virtual 2022 in a Win10 Hyper-V is works...

So, known feature or..?

/Bjarne

3 Replies

The general rule of support is two versions above or below host OS, I'd also confirm here and with manufacturer about support for Server 2022

Windows Server Catalog

best response confirmed by Bjarne_Ingelsson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

I have a similar situation and was able to get connectivity by shutting down Server2022 VM >> Remove Network Adaptor >> +Add Hardware >> Specifying Legacy Network Adapter. Legacy NIC is limited to 100mbps but it might be a temporary workaround until you can get your Hyper-V version upgraded to a more current level. 

Thanks,

Tim

@Bjarne_Ingelsson 

I can't thank you enough Tim!
It works perfectly, didn't even know about the legacy adapter(!) But hey, you learn something new every day :)
100Mbit limitation is not an issue, its just a TeamCity agent work horse for creating Server 2022 based docker images.

I owe you at least a beer!
/Bjarne
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bjarne_Ingelsson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

I have a similar situation and was able to get connectivity by shutting down Server2022 VM >> Remove Network Adaptor >> +Add Hardware >> Specifying Legacy Network Adapter. Legacy NIC is limited to 100mbps but it might be a temporary workaround until you can get your Hyper-V version upgraded to a more current level. 

Thanks,

Tim

@Bjarne_Ingelsson 

View solution in original post