Bypass LBFO Teaming deprecation on Hyper-V and Windows Server 2022

MVP

Starting with Windows Server 1903 and 1909, Hyper-V virtual switches on an LBFO-type network adapter cluster are deprecated (see documentation). The technology remains supported, but it will not evolve. It is recommended to c...an aggregate of type SET.

In practice

The SET is a very interesting technology that has some constraints. The interfaces used must have identical characteristics:

• Manufacturer
  • Model
  • Link speed
  • Configuration

Even if these constraints do not seem huge, we are very far from the flexibility of LBFO Teaming. As a reminder, this one has absolutely no constraints.

In practice the SET is recommended with network interfaces of 10Gb or more. Therefore, we are very far from the target of the LBFO (use of all integrated boards with motherboard pro, Home Lab, refurbish).

If SET cannot be used

As of Windows Server 2022, it is not possible to use the Hyper-V Management Console to create a virtual switch with LBFO, as it will prompt an error saying that LBFO have been depreciated. However, it is possible to use PowerShell to create this virtual switch.

First, create the Teaming of your network cards using the Server Manager, in my case the teaming will be with LACP mode and Dynamic load balancing mode.

Then execute the below PowerShell Command to create the virtual switch based on the teaming created in the previous step:

New-VMSwitch -Name "LAN" -NetAdapterName "LINK-AGGREGATION" -AllowNetLbfoTeams $true -AllowManagementOS $true

In detail:

• The virtual switch will be named "LAN"
    • The network adapter cluster teaming is named "LINK-AGGREGATION"
    • The aggregate remains usable to access the Hyper-V host.

You will see your network teaming up and running on Hyper-V host.

Thats it!

6 Replies
Hi eliekarkafy,

I have a problem with my newly build Windows 2022 Server. Already configured Network Teaming and named it NETWORKTEAM. Enabled Hyperv Role but when i fired the powershell command to create a network teaming it gives an error...

PS C:\Users\Administrator> New-VMSwitch -Name "LAN" -NetAdapterName "NETWORKTEAM" -AllowNetLbfoTeams $true -AllowManagementOS $true

New-VMSwitch : Failed while adding virtual Ethernet switch connections.
Failed to connect Ethernet switch port (switch name = 'C1689C7F-1CDE-497B-BFE9-0B238C12B1CC', port name =
'14B49592-3E27-4A88-B319-4CEBA3D8F610', adapter GUID = '{B1D24E53-BB93-4C38-90E0-D86340B8B145}'): The system cannot
find the file specified. (0x80070002).
At line:1 char:1
+ New-VMSwitch -Name "LAN" -NetAdapterName "NETWORKTEAM" -AllowNetLbfoT ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (:) [New-VMSwitch], VirtualizationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ObjectNotFound,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.NewVMSwitch

@eliekarkafy 

I followed every steps.  Enable and created a network teaming, Even copied the same network teaming name but i got an error when firing the powershell command

Error.png

@evermall lets try to remove the IPv6 from the teaming and open the PowerShell as admin and let the path be Windows/system32. 

@eliekarkafy 

Many thanks for the assist, glad there is a way to bypass this.

Am setting up a server where I wanted Hyper-V to have exclusive access to a 10gbps network card but wanted that card to have a backup 1gbps network card setup in teaming.